Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What goes in the passenger side rear wheel well? Big connector missing black box

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What goes in the passenger side rear wheel well? Big connector missing black box

I just bought a 02 ws6 and when I was going through the car I was checking for the spare and jack which wasn't present. When I looked around in the passenger side rear wheel well there was a huge connector laying there with nothing connected to it. Upon further investigating I looked at another Fbdoy and that connector connected to a descent size metal black box that bolts towards the top of the wheel well. My question is what is this box? and what does it do? and do I need it for my own safety?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it's the Monsoon amplifier. You're better off without it because it sucks but if your radio doesn't work, that'd be why...unless they wired the speakers directly or have an aftermarket radio.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Something doesn't sound right here. Black connector, unused, rear wheel well. Wouldn't that be for the OE CD changer and I thought it was on the drivers side. If yours is the passenger side maybe they moved it over or it's an add on?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like it's either for the Monsoon amp or the shock sensor. That's the only thing I can think of in the pass. wheel well.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The only large connector on the right side would be for the Monsoon amp. You can check by comparing it to the diagram and pin-out in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.

And don't worry about being told that the Monsoon amp sucks. Some people just repeat what they've heard without really knowing. The Monsoon system gets a bad reputation because the head units are just ordinary Delco radios that produce lots of distortion and the speakers are made of cheap materials (although they don't sound too bad until they blow). You can get a replacement Monsoon amp fairly cheap and it will produce clean amplification into eight channels provided it gets a clean input signal. If all your wiring is intact, it is an option you might want to consider.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it were me I would put the amp back in the car. I have a Monsson amp in my Z with aftermarket radio and speakers and it sounds almost as good as my JL Audio amp and speakers in my honda. opinions are like ********, everyone has one and most of them stink!!