Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harness and computer newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default harness and computer newbie question

Hey guys
Couple of questions. Im new to this swap so please help.
I have a 2003 5.3 going into my 69 Camaro. I will be using a t56 6 speed. All ls1 accessories and no ac. I will also be using the ls6 intake with DBC t/b( lq4 throtle body).
I have the 5.3 harness with no computer and maf.
For the harhess, should i just modify the 5.3 harness, use a ls1 harness or a stand alone harness? Are all the connectors different from the 5.3 to LS1.
I know the injectors and ecm are different but what about alternator, o2 sensors...etc.
Do i need to use the 5.3 computer or can I just use the ls1 computer, maf, o2 sensors.
I dont know what works with what. Kind of confused, please help. Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 5.3 harness works fine but could use a bunch of trimming down. There are wires for emissions that you can delete along with some stuff for 4wd that you won't need. The only connector that is different on the harness is the MAF; trucks use an 85mm with a built in air temp sensor and f-bodies use a 75mm with a separate air temp. The 97-98 LS1's used a different PCM but 99-up are the same as the truck and can be interchanged.

The stand alone harnesses are nice , but if you have the patience to mod the truck harness it will work just as good. Check out the conversions and hybrids section here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/. You will find lots of good info and even some build threads with pictures of what you are trying to do. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info 5.3LJimmy.
Cant seem to find anyone who is building a 5.3 with ls1 accessories and fuel injected.
Most of them are building them with carbs.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say use the 5.3 harness. if you need a maf i have one for you. check out
lt1swap.com tons of info on truck and ls1 pinouts and such.