Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Drops with Metal Particles

Old 11-13-2010, 03:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Drops with Metal Particles

Hi, everyone.

I recently started the 135k mile TA on a cold morning where the rush of heat caused rapid condensation on the bottom end of the vehicle. Later, I noticed several drops of water and oil mixed with water from the front end (from oil pan to trans), which was obviously the condensed moisture rinsing off the collected oil residue from the bottom end. The thing that surprised me, though, was that upon close inspection, the oil drops had a heavy concentration of glittery particles, which could only be from the internals of the engine. So my question is whether the presence of these particles by itself is considered abnormal/excessive engine wear or if they could've gradually accumulated over long periods of time, and therefore negligible? (Haven't had any used oil professionally examined yet, nor have I seen any particles on the oil dipstick.)

Any clarification/speculation is appreciated.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
which could only be from the internals of the engine.

So my question is whether the presence of these particles by itself is considered abnormal/excessive engine wear
1.You have obviously forgotten that the Externals of the engine are also made of this same material.....metal. I can't for the life of me figure out how you have narrowed this down to internal engine metal. Please sir describe the difference between internal and external engine metal and how you negotiated the difference?

2. I would think an inspection of the internal engine oil as well as cutting open the oil filter would tell you a lot more
Old 11-13-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
Hi, everyone.

I recently started the 135k mile TA on a cold morning where the rush of heat caused rapid condensation on the bottom end of the vehicle. Later, I noticed several drops of water and oil mixed with water from the front end (from oil pan to trans), which was obviously the condensed moisture rinsing off the collected oil residue from the bottom end. The thing that surprised me, though, was that upon close inspection, the oil drops had a heavy concentration of glittery particles, which could only be from the internals of the engine. So my question is whether the presence of these particles by itself is considered abnormal/excessive engine wear or if they could've gradually accumulated over long periods of time, and therefore negligible? (Haven't had any used oil professionally examined yet, nor have I seen any particles on the oil dipstick.)

Any clarification/speculation is appreciated.
If it really bothers you, pull a sample and submit it to one of those oil testing laboratories (e.g. Blackstone). The results will tell you how much metal, if any, and the type which will pinpoint the source. They will send you a free test sample kit - cost is about $25. Cheaper than a teardown.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman
They will send you a free test sample kit - cost is about $25.
I just thought this was humorous.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
I just thought this was humorous.
Touché
Old 11-14-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
1.You have obviously forgotten that the Externals of the engine are also made of this same material.....metal. I can't for the life of me figure out how you have narrowed this down to internal engine metal. Please sir describe the difference between internal and external engine metal and how you negotiated the difference?

2. I would think an inspection of the internal engine oil as well as cutting open the oil filter would tell you a lot more
Well, I just figured such a heavy concentration could've only come from the constant frictional wear the engine internals. I wouldn't expect that much metal shaving from simply torqueing the oil drain/oil pan bolts. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to find that to be the cause, I just think that's a straw-clutching wish. I think the bottom line that car-loving folks tend to forget is that no matter the quality of the oil and how careful you drive, each and every RPM shaves off a tiny bit of metal invisible to the naked eye. Energy is neither created nor destroyed, only transferred. Problem is that collateral damage is an entropic necessity of this process.

I actually saved my last oil filter and a sample of the used oil. I had it in a bucket outside, but it was thrown out on me. My current oil is practically new and is not scheduled to be changed until Spring of next year at the earliest.

Originally Posted by Darkman
If it really bothers you, pull a sample and submit it to one of those oil testing laboratories (e.g. Blackstone). The results will tell you how much metal, if any, and the type which will pinpoint the source. They will send you a free test sample kit - cost is about $25. Cheaper than a teardown.
Thank you very much for the recommendation. I will bookmark their site and record their info for a future test.

A rapid and low dissipating rate of condensation inside the engine throughout the Winter months wouldn't suddenly give you so much visible metal shaving, would it?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If you in fact have metal shaving floating around in your engine I would suspect their would be some evidence on the magnetic tip on the drain plug (although I realize that not all bearing material may be magnetic). And again, to put your mind at rest, the cost of an oil change early would be worth it IMO. I truly feel like if what you saw came from the inside of the engine, then upon inspection (even with the oil being new/recently changed) it would be almost immediately obvious that there was a significant problem.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed with 01ssreda4. A) an oil change is cheaper than an engine. B) if you do have a problem it will show up almost instantly (if it's anything than normal wear)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Drops with Metal Particles