Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb PCV Oil Catch Can

Very very nice item. I have had mine for about a year and these things work great. They have worked on ANY type of car. I get about a 1/4 cup of oil about ever 3000 miles. This item keeps that crap from returning to the combustion chamber. If you have questions, please email me and I can send pictures and info.

This attactment is a prototype. I will update with my polished can later tonight.

Last edited by CamaroCain; 02-04-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

howd you set it up? this is better than the ls6 pcv huh?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

i have a greddy catch can and man it is awesome. after 3k i have 2oz of oil in it and guess what...... my ping went away
Old 02-03-2004, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by KHShapiro
i have a greddy catch can and man it is awesome. after 3k i have 2oz of oil in it and guess what...... my ping went away
So those do work? Ive seen them on Ebay and the Greddy knock off for 1/2 the price. Im going to go ahead and get one. After 2500 miles on a new motor, I had oil pouring out of the runners and intake
Old 02-03-2004, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

pics? setup? instructions?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Country Boy i will be heading to BMP this week if you want to see my set up , and yes it really is worth it ..
here are some pics of A set-up .. http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=392677 this is the exact Catch can i have. i bought this from him when he wrecked his car.. i mounted mine on the driverside close to the Headlight.
this Really Really Works no matter whose catch Can you get you should buy one.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

i should add i tee'd my so it pulls from both Valve cover into the can.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:58 PM

Ive got the LS6 setup and it doesnt do squat for me

I would like to see your setup, but I dont have a car at the moment so I cant get to BMP lol
Old 02-03-2004, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.villier.net/kyfbody/videos/chrismdyno.wmv

take a look at this, do think its oil consumption? I had it looked at by brent at TEA, i have done a leak down test and compression tests, and its all good, but after going to WOT, and then ;etting off, it does this ****. Keep in mind that this was while the car was about 1 point too lean, but I had it tunned, but the smoke keeps comming. Some folks have told me that its just the way some LS1,s are. But i only loose about 1/4-1/2 a quart every oil change, so maybe the can will fix it.

Guys, tell me what you think
Old 02-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Restricted User

The problem with greddy is that they come with cheap lines and these don't. This set up looks professional and like it came in the vehicle. These cans will out last you and ALL your cars. You can take it out and put it on your new cars as time goes on. This can is machined, fit and has a built in air/oil seperator. If you want instructions please email me.

This is so simple that you can install in about 5 - 10 minutes. You disconnect your PCV and run a hose from that to the top of this can and out the side of the can to the intake. This runs inline after the pcv. Very very simple and easy to install on any car.

I don't make these, but I can tell you that they are well made.

Good luck.. Email me and you will have yourself getting one of these for sure.

Last edited by BlackHawk131; 02-04-2004 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Restricted User

If you have oil in your runners, then it is coming from the PCV system and yes, this can will catch all of that. We have been testing on a 96 dodge truck(and many other cars) and after driving 500 miles, this can will catch a cup of oil. If the can was not installed, then this amount would have gone through the runners and vavles. This is a shame on a new motor!!!

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
http://www.villier.net/kyfbody/videos/chrismdyno.wmv

take a look at this, do think its oil consumption? I had it looked at by brent at TEA, i have done a leak down test and compression tests, and its all good, but after going to WOT, and then ;etting off, it does this ****. Keep in mind that this was while the car was about 1 point too lean, but I had it tunned, but the smoke keeps comming. Some folks have told me that its just the way some LS1,s are. But i only loose about 1/4-1/2 a quart every oil change, so maybe the can will fix it.

Guys, tell me what you think
Old 02-03-2004, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHawk131
and not a thin metal can like the greddy.
Thin? I guess you've never had one in your hand then. Far from thin, actually very think, and it will also last forever. Probably longer than your motor. The lines are crap though, I just replaced them with fuel line....
Old 02-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Restricted User

lets see a picture of the inside. I will put this can up to the test!!!
And sorry, they do look like coke cans!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

lets see a picture of the inside. I will put this can up to the test!!!
And sorry, they do look like coke cans!
I don't have a dig. cam. The metal is very thick, and will last about as long as gasoline is still made for cars.

As far as internal design, I can't say because I haven't seen the inside of your can. As far as longevity though, I'll put cash on the fact that neither one of us will live to see the day where the metal on either one fails. Not sure where you got the idea that the Greddy can was thin, but it's not even close to thin...

PS. I've never seen a bright polished box style coke can with 9mm fittings before
Old 02-03-2004, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

blackhawk 131, I emailed the addres on the site you posted a few hours ago, im still waiting to hear from them. I NEED a catch can pretty bad, and i realy dont care what it looks like "Coke can" or not
Old 02-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Restricted User

what kind of info are you looking for? PM me. I am currently at work but I can call you if you like. Let me know...
Old 02-03-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so its just a can and you tee off the pvc system?, couldnt you just make one yourself?, or is there filters or something inside?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of info are you looking for? PM me. I am currently at work but I can call you if you like. Let me know...

i made my own catch can, it was cheap and i guess it worked. i made it look pretty good but the thing was i was still getting oil goin into the motor? how can i get away from this? i had a clear line on the top with a filter and after about 2 weeks it was nasty with oil still. how can i set it up where this wont happen?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Assassin
so its just a can and you tee off the pvc system?, couldnt you just make one yourself?, or is there filters or something inside?
Yes there is a filter material in the can. Now you need to be careful when putting filters on. If they block air flow, then air starts going out some place else. The point is, all new cars use a pcv and the problem is they all pull some kind of moisture through. Some more than others. The reason I got one is to stop as much as possible. This is not a fix, but a solution to a problem. I don't know about the greddy, but the can also has ridges inside to keep oil from crawing up the can from vaccuum.

It seems that most people don't want their car using oil. Fact is, all cars burn oil from rings, high rpm's, or poor oil. The thing is I don't want it going through the combustion chamber and building on the valves. Through time this will cause HP to drop. In a turbo, this could stop detenation.

You could make one yourself, but I wanted something that looked like it belongs in the car and does the job well. I went to the extent to buy the Z06 valley tray and even after that install, I still get oil in my can.

Mike, I don't think you can fix the problem because it is a problem.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
[url]
Some folks have told me that its just the way some LS1,s are. But i only loose about 1/4-1/2 a quart every oil change, so maybe the can will fix it.
Chris,
I need to tell you that no can will stop the problem, but only catch the moisture before entering the motor. You will still loose 1/2 1/4 quart every oil change.

Quick Reply: PCV Oil Catch Can