Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

T top and hard top bodys

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T top and hard top bodys

I was told that a t top and hard top bodys are the same??? To convert a t top car to a hard top all you have to do is unbolt the hard top and bolt one on a t top car?? is this **** true?? thanks for any help
Old 11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cars were designed to be TTop cars from the factory. Hard top cars can be made into a TTop car by taking out a side piece of metal on both sides. This process is very easy.

While this piece of metal does provide added structural support, its not much.

This topic is of great debate.

IMO, its that of a 1 or 2% added structural rigidity, AKA something that we cant even feel. Other people will tell you that having a hard top is the reason their rear quarters are not fubared. IMO this complete BS.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

any more info on it? will they jus slide in when you cut the side bars off or is there some molding and filling required?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Launching!

anybody know about this???
Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've had my 3rd gen hardtop for about 4 years, about 3 and a half have had no headliner.

as mentioned these cars were born to be t tops, i can see it by the way the framing looks every time i look up.

when there's the morning dew/mist, the outline for t tops is perfect. its like a sign

i'm sure that you would have to just smooth some edges when you cut off the section and drill holes for the locks.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Biggsw784
I was told that a t top and hard top bodys are the same??? To convert a t top car to a hard top all you have to do is unbolt the hard top and bolt one on a t top car?? is this **** true?? thanks for any help
To convert from t-top to hardtop, you'd have to do the following:
1. Get the 2 frame rails that connect the a to b pillars (make sure section on far ends that was welded is intact so it can be welded on your car later), roof skin/sail panel cover, headliner, and a-panel interior cover, and hardtop weatherstripping.
2. Then remove sail panel from your car, weld the frame rails in, glue down the roof skin / sail panel cover, and install the other parts noted above.

Keep in mind I've never done this, so I might be missing some steps above, but what I've listed should give you a good high level summary of the job.

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
The cars were designed to be TTop cars from the factory. Hard top cars can be made into a TTop car by taking out a side piece of metal on both sides. This process is very easy.

While this piece of metal does provide added structural support, its not much.

This topic is of great debate.

IMO, its that of a 1 or 2% added structural rigidity, AKA something that we cant even feel. Other people will tell you that having a hard top is the reason their rear quarters are not fubared. IMO this complete BS.
Those two a-b pillar frame rails in their location should provide a significant increase in torsional and bending rigidity. They are very stiff in compression/tension (have you seen pictures of their cross section?). I'd estimate a 30% increase in torsional rigidty and 15% increase in bending (based on data I've seen from other applications). People install SFCs and get a much lower increase in chassis rigidity and claim they can feel it.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vtirocz
People install SFCs and get a much lower increase in chassis rigidity and claim they can feel it.
yeah i forgot to mention SFCs would be something worth doing
Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Launching!

sfc???
Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Launching!

sfc= sub frame connectors
Old 11-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

sfc=rigidity
Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 31camaro
sfc= sub frame connectors

duh!! i am a dumbass....
Old 11-26-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vtirocz
T

Those two a-b pillar frame rails in their location should provide a significant increase in torsional and bending rigidity. They are very stiff in compression/tension (have you seen pictures of their cross section?). I'd estimate a 30% increase in torsional rigidty and 15% increase in bending (based on data I've seen from other applications). People install SFCs and get a much lower increase in chassis rigidity and claim they can feel it.
If scott s. says there is no added benefit, thats what I am going with.
As long as everyone has fun with their cars, who really cares.

Quick Reply: T top and hard top bodys