Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TEX T101 bellhousing/clutch info?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEX T101 bellhousing/clutch info?

I've got a TEX T101 transmission and a pace performance bellhousing. My question is what stock clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel combination do I need to use. I want something that will last a season or two at ~400whp. I'm sure one of the LSX clutch and pressure plates combos is sufficient but I wasn't sure which one would fit inside this bellhousing.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by DRVR
I've got a TEX T101 transmission and a pace performance bellhousing. My question is what stock clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel combination do I need to use. I want something that will last a season or two at ~400whp. I'm sure one of the LSX clutch and pressure plates combos is sufficient but I wasn't sure which one would fit inside this bellhousing.
First count the teeth on the input shaft of the T101 to make sure you didn't get a 29 spline version. Next you will most likely need a different bearing retainer. Does your present bearing retainer have a long snout for the throw out bearing?

You can use a any of the stock LS1/6/7 clutches and their matching flywheels. Look at my build thread. I am using the same bellhousing but with a Richmond 6 speed. Many of the issues are the same with the T101.

Andrew
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
First count the teeth on the input shaft of the T101 to make sure you didn't get a 29 spline version. Next you will most likely need a different bearing retainer. Does your present bearing retainer have a long snout for the throw out bearing?

You can use a any of the stock LS1/6/7 clutches and their matching flywheels. Look at my build thread. I am using the same bellhousing but with a Richmond 6 speed. Many of the issues are the same with the T101.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, It is a 26 spline input shaft but I don't know if its a "short" or "long" bearing retainer. The bearing retainer is made by Quartermaster and has an O.D. of 1 3/8in where the throwout bearing would slide.

Edit: Looked at your thread and it helped a lot! Thanks!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Andrew, It is a 26 spline input shaft but I don't know if its a "short" or "long" bearing retainer. The bearing retainer is made by Quartermaster and has an O.D. of 1 3/8in where the throwout bearing would slide.

Edit: Looked at your thread and it helped a lot! Thanks!
A picture of the bearing retainer would be helpful. As I recall all of the Quarter Master bearing retainers had snouts, but they also had a built in step so that one of their race bearings can be properly positioned with their clutches. You will probably be OK. As you saw in my build thread I used quite a few shims to get the TOB positioned properly with my LS7 clutch. The input shaft length on the T101 should be exactly the same as my Richmond 6 spd: 6.66" from the face of the trans to the tip of the input shaft. You will also need to use the LS7 pilot bearing as I did. For sanity sakes, I would mock up the bellhousing and the transmission without the clutch. That way you can clearly see how far the tip of the input shaft engages with the pilot bearing.

Andrew
Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Teching In

A picture of the bearing retainer would be helpful. As I recall all of the Quarter Master bearing retainers had snouts, but they also had a built in step so that one of their race bearings can be properly positioned with their clutches. You will probably be OK. As you saw in my build thread I used quite a few shims to get the TOB positioned properly with my LS7 clutch. The input shaft length on the T101 should be exactly the same as my Richmond 6 spd: 6.66" from the face of the trans to the tip of the input shaft. You will also need to use the LS7 pilot bearing as I did. For sanity sakes, I would mock up the bellhousing and the transmission without the clutch. That way you can clearly see how far the tip of the input shaft engages with the pilot bearing.

Andrew
I appreciate the help, I'm going to take some pics of the tranny later. If I can get around to it I might just go ahead and bolt the tranny and bellhousing to the block like you said. It is good to hear I can use a GM clutch though, I was worried I wouldn't be able to.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I appreciate the help, I'm going to take some pics of the tranny later. If I can get around to it I might just go ahead and bolt the tranny and bellhousing to the block like you said. It is good to hear I can use a GM clutch though, I was worried I wouldn't be able to.
Glad to be of help. Looking forward to your updates. The T101 is a great transmission. I would double check to see if it has a bearing or bushing in the tailshaft housing. If its a bearing, you will need to get a special hardened yoke. They are available from Mark Williams and other vendors. The T101 uses a standard TH400/Muncie M22 32 spline output shaft.

Andrew
Old 11-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Glad to be of help. Looking forward to your updates. The T101 is a great transmission. I would double check to see if it has a bearing or bushing in the tailshaft housing. If its a bearing, you will need to get a special hardened yoke. They are available from Mark Williams and other vendors. The T101 uses a standard TH400/Muncie M22 32 spline output shaft.

Andrew
Honestly I can't remember if it is a bearing or not but it does appear to be a hardened output shaft. I will check when I get home for sure. I did notice a fair amount of radial shaft play? I asked Tex and they said it was normal but i'm still going to look into it.

One thing i'm also going to look into adding is an external pump setup as mine does not have an internal pump, nor is the casing machined to accept one. I'm just looking for something to circulate the oil not spray directly on the mainshaft like the internal pump does. The only way I can justify this in my head is the fact that there won't be too much radiant heat on the trans casing just the heat generated internally. Here's a question, is the internal pump needed on nascar style chassis because of the radiant heat from the headers or is the heat for the most part generated internally?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

......I did notice a fair amount of radial shaft play?.....
Of the input or output shaft?

Andrew
Old 11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Of the input or output shaft?

Andrew
Both seem to have some play, I haven't measured either but the output is worse. From just feeling it, I would say the output shaft is ~ .008in. I will find out if there is a needle bearing or bushing in the tail housing shortly. Haven't left work yet
Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Ok here are some pics. Looks like the input shaft is 6.6in from the mating face of the tranny. Good. The pilot shaft O.D. is .585in? The tailshaft definitely has a bushing with a grease fitting in the side. Now I guess need to bolt the tranny up to the block. I take back what I said earlier, the tailshaft has less play than the input shaft. The tailshaft actually has hardly any play where the input shaft moves a good .008in - .010in.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok here are some pics. Looks like the input shaft is 6.6in from the mating face of the tranny. Good. The pilot shaft O.D. is .585in? The tailshaft definitely has a bushing with a grease fitting in the side. Now I guess need to bolt the tranny up to the block. I take back what I said earlier, the tailshaft has less play than the input shaft. The tailshaft actually has hardly any play where the input shaft moves a good .008in - .010in.
Everything seems good. The input will have some play because it only has one bearing inside the transmission to support it. The pilot bearing will support it on the other side. The output shaft should have virtually zero play.

The bearing retainer definitely has the step that I mentioned before, but it should not cause any issues.

What throwout bearing do you plan to use?

Andrew
Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Everything seems good. The input will have some play because it only has one bearing inside the transmission to support it. The pilot bearing will support it on the other side. The output shaft should have virtually zero play.

The bearing retainer definitely has the step that I mentioned before, but it should not cause any issues.

What throwout bearing do you plan to use?

Andrew
Well I was thinking this one would work as the I.D. is 1 3/8in and it has the shims. The only thing that looks questionable to me is where the "anti-rotation" stud will go. Mine has what looks like a 4in bolt circle diameter.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I was thinking this one would work as the I.D. is 1 3/8in and it has the shims. The only thing that looks questionable to me is where the "anti-rotation" stud will go. Mine has what looks like a 4in bolt circle diameter.
That's the same one that I am using. It doesn't have a lot of total travel, but it works fine with my LS7 clutch. You can remove the bearing retainer and open up the slot where one of the bolts goes. That way you can use the anti-rotation stud as intended in the 7 o'clock location.

Andrew
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Ahh ok makes sense.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

update you installed and work good??? worth it??
Just curious on Tex or nascar 4 spd manual
Old 06-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
update you installed and work good??? worth it??
Just curious on Tex or nascar 4 spd manual
Well I guess I didn't really clarify what this was going in in my original post but so far I do like the trans and it "fits" kinda. Here is what I had to do to get it to fit in my car. 1993 BMW 318is

Here is a link to my build thread.

http://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311355

Just installed the engine this past Friday.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read it all and looks good..Keep up your project on.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

I know this is bit of an old thread, but I was wondering what trans mount bushing this guy is using that attaches to his trans and the bolts to the mount bracket.

(the piece with the gold ears on it in the picture above)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MynameisLee
I know this is bit of an old thread, but I was wondering what trans mount bushing this guy is using that attaches to his trans and the bolts to the mount bracket.

That looks like your basic Energy Suspension or Prothane GM trans mount.

Andrew
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MynameisLee

http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/olds...FVGi4AodBkwATA

Quick Reply: TEX T101 bellhousing/clutch info?