Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator size question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator size question

ok, ill be making around 700 crank hp when all said and done, the area in which i want to use for my next radiator is small, i made a mock up box from cardboard and it fits perfectly with a

13" tall by 28" long by 3" thick.

if i were to find a radiator like this, what kind of fans should i be looking for, and will it even keep my 366 iron block cool?? and will it be sufficient for the next rebuild which will be either a 370 or 390??

sorry, radiators baffle me some times, phil99vette gave me the dimensions of one he used for awhile, i wanna say it was a 19x22 dual pass,

thats around 418 square inches of surface area, and the one id like to use is about 364 square inches.

i dont know what to do, but id really like to use the 13x28 becuase it fits so nicley and pretty.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One option would be to Ron Davis Racing Radiators build one to your specs.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

The more area the better, you'll get a more efficient rad that way. The thicker cores aren't as efficient since the air has a slightly harder time getting though the rad, and its picked up some heat from the front on its way through, and won't absorb heat at the same rate.

I guess intended application will determine whether it *might* work, along with fuel used (ie ethanol/methanol), and very importantly, the ducting to the front. Making sure the fans have a very good shroud sealed against the outside perimeter of the cores would also be a must.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

well i am running ethanol, but even with the stock radiator, i would notice my temps start creeping up after 5 or 6 runs at wot while tuning. now, i dont know if thats normal, since 5 or 6 runs does seem like alot especially considering they were easily extended runs. talking 50 to 130ish trying to load the upper cells.

but they never seemed to take to long to come back down under normal throttle conditions.

i dont know. i guess, ill have to bite the bullet and buy one that will fit where i need it and hope it works. lol