Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Brakes Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Brakes Sticking

I have a set aerospace front brakes for my car. The lightweight brakes are sticking with only 2500 miles on them. What would be the best approach to diagnoss and fix the problem? Surely the calipers are good since they are new. Car has been parked because brakes stick so bad that car will lockup and not moved on the road when brake pedal pressure is applied. The only way to unlock brakes is to put in reverse and front brakes unstick themselves, then emergency brake can be used to get home which is not fun or safe--but a hair raising experience. Any assistance and advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Kent1; 02-03-2004 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not familiar with that brand of brakes.

SOunds like a cal to the manufacturer is in order.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to guess that you did not install a "residual pressure valve" inline with those brakes (if you had done so and got a set of 10 lb valves for drum brakes, that could be part of it). But, assuming that is not the case.

I'd guess that the piston bores in the caliper are slightly oversized and are allowing the pistons to get "cocked" in the bore where they will stick tight. The fact that reverse will free them up supports this thought.

When you apply the brakes and the piston pushes the pad into the rotor, the pad is pulled in the direction of the rotors rotation. This could pull the pistons enough to get the back corner of the piston to dig into the wall of the caliper (if the bore is slightly oversized) and "jam" the system. Now, since the pads are tight against the rotors and have signifigant "pressure" against those rotors, backing up will add to the pressure until they finally shift enough that the piston "pops" free and releases the brakes. This is my theory about the nature of your problem.

I never assume that anything "new" is working properly. I am going to guess that you had no problems with the stock parts (meaning it is not likley to be a problem with the pedal linkage or master cylinder). If the problem started after the new parts went on, I'd consider them to be prime suspects (first rule of troubleshooting, -trust no one and nothing until it proves otherwise).

I would also contact Aerospace Brakes and explain this to them and see what they suggest, they may know of an exsisting problem or offer to inspect/fix the calipers, etc (always worth a call).

But, those are my thoughts (and best guesses) on your trouble. I hope that helps. Feel free to drop me a line if I can be of assistance.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
trust no one and nothing until it proves otherwise.
Can I quote you on that?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely....

I think you just did.....
Old 02-04-2004, 12:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. i WILL contact aerospace and sponsor on board with whom I purchase the brakes from and see it I can get some assistance. None of the existing brake lines or other components were changed except for the brake lines were modified to connect to the caliper and work fine for about 2500 miles. No, I did not install a residual pressure valve. I wander if anyone else has had any problems with these brakes, if so, chime in.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes Sticking