Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All right, guys. I need some help with my on dash BRAKE light.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All right, guys. I need some help with my on dash BRAKE light.

I know that it comes on when the parking break switch is triggered in the center console. Secondary function is to warn the brake fluid is low.

That being said, I need some advise on how to stop it from lighting up when I'm driving. I know it's telling me that somethings wrong, but I don't know what it is. It turns on when I'm driving and about 15-20 minute later, it will turn off. I notice that it turns on sometimes when I'm coming to a stop, but it seems to be random when it turns off.

Fluid is fine, breaking power is fine, and parking brake is not triggered (all the way down).

What else do I check?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you delete the ABS by any chance? Cuz that will cause the light to go on. And are you sure the switch for the e-brake is operating correctly?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, abs is not deleted. I know the switch to the e-brake is operating because when the light isn't on I can engage and disengage my e-brake and the light will comply accordingly.

Maybe my abs is starting to have problems?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Have it scanned. ABS might have some codes.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
No, abs is not deleted. I know the switch to the e-brake is operating because when the light isn't on I can engage and disengage my e-brake and the light will comply accordingly.

Maybe my abs is starting to have problems?
I doubt it. I think we'd also be seeing the ABS warning light if thats whats acting up... but I guess go ahead and make sure none of the ABS fuses are blown and that the wiring on the ABS module is dry and secure, and maybe try disconnecting the battery a spell. Check that the pads aren't worn. Maybe you could check the ABS sensors at each wheel, make sure theres a reasonable gap and that theres not any debris on the pickup or lug. You might want to look for a fluid leak too. Who knows?

I deleted the ABS altogether so the warning lights were expected. I plan to take the cluster apart and just block off the light.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I doubt it. I think we'd also be seeing the ABS warning light if thats whats acting up... but I guess go ahead and make sure none of the ABS fuses are blown and that the wiring on the ABS module is dry and secure, and maybe try disconnecting the battery a spell. Check that the pads aren't worn. Maybe you could check the ABS sensors at each wheel, make sure theres a reasonable gap and that theres not any debris on the pickup or lug. You might want to look for a fluid leak too. Who knows?

I deleted the ABS altogether so the warning lights were expected. I plan to take the cluster apart and just block off the light.

Good luck
Dont bother with the abs sensors. The gap really isnt adjustable and if that as the case the yellow abs light would be on as well.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28

Good luck
Dont bother with the abs sensors. The gap really isnt adjustable and if that as the case the yellow abs light would be on as well.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
I was really just throwing some stuff against the wall. But I have seen physically damaged sensors and sensors covered with crap, so I figure it can't hurt to look.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the yellow light would be on if the problem was at all ABS. And for that matter, I wouldn't expect to find ABS DTCs if the light is not on...
Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah Im not trying to shut you down or anything. Just trying to make it easier. You may still find abs dtc whether the light is on or not. Im pretty sure that they would still be saved in history.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I'm just here to help and to learn. I don't mean no harm.

...There might be old codes. What I'm getting at is we're both barking up the wrong tree. Trying to diagnose an ABS problem when the ABS light is not on and if everything is working, doesn't really help or make sense. Is the ABS working OP? The regular brake warning light is what's on. Right?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it's the red brake light on the dash, not to be confused with the abs light.

I read somewhere that the GM manual states the car should not be driven in this condition (when the red brake light is on) or something to that effect. I'm not having any mechanical problems with it at all that would make me think it shouldn't be driven.

What confuses me is why the light comes on and off at random times. That's the kicker.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Yeah, it's the red brake light on the dash, not to be confused with the abs light.

I read somewhere that the GM manual states the car should not be driven in this condition (when the red brake light is on) or something to that effect. I'm not having any mechanical problems with it at all that would make me think it shouldn't be driven.

What confuses me is why the light comes on and off at random times. That's the kicker.
IDK, try checking the wire connector to the level sensor on the master cyl, or maybe the sensor is bad.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wires are fine. Maybe I just think the brake fluid reservoir is full when in reality it's not. Where is the proper "full" mark?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Its on the side of the resivoir