Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke in engine bay after L/T header install..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Smoke in engine bay after L/T header install..?

First off, this is my first post (unfortunately its a problem) but I've been reading the forums and researching for about a year before I got my car in April. I did a search but couldn't find anything useful, so here it goes:

I recently did a Hooker L/T header install on an 02 firehawk T/A with 86k that I bought used in April. At the same time I changed out all the stock spark plugs to TR55 plugs (old ones were totally shot when I took them out). I ordered my headers as the 00-02 style and got an EGR blockoff plate. I couldn't get the passenger side header up without either getting the car much higher (which I didn't want to risk because it was already really high and I don't have the world's greatest floor jack) because the EGR port was blocking it from going in. So, I took the header to a shop and had him chop off the EGR port and weld the hole shut and it slid right in. I left the headers open for now (also got a TSP catted-Y which I'll put on later) and when I go to start the car, it starts strong. But then about 3 or 4 minutes in, the passenger side of the engine bay by the header starts to smoke.. its sort of a light blue/gray smoke with a burning smell and I can't find for the life of me where it's coming from. I was having some trouble getting the dipstick tube seated correctly so I think this might have something to do with it but I'm not sure if that would cause this problem. I checked multiple times to see if the o-ring was inside the casing in the oil pan and it looked like it was so I'm not really sure.. any ideas as to what this could be??

Also, I'm not complaining but my check engine light never came on after the install.. is this normal? I've read they should usually come on because you're deleting the rear o2's. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay first welcome to the forum.

Second, what header gaskets are you using

Third, the smoke could be from the fresh welds (it wouldnt be the first time ive seen it happen)

Fourth, yes the check engine light should be on because of the deleated rear 02s. Also possibly becuase of the EGR delete. What year is your car?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were they basic painted headers?...when I put some painted headers on they smoked for a week or so until it burned all the paint off.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
okay first welcome to the forum.

Second, what header gaskets are you using

Third, the smoke could be from the fresh welds (it wouldnt be the first time ive seen it happen)

Fourth, yes the check engine light should be on because of the deleated rear 02s. Also possibly becuase of the EGR delete. What year is your car?
I am using brand new stock gaskets. My car is an 02, so there is no EGR. I'm hoping that the weld isn't leaking, this would probably be the worst case scenario

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
Were they basic painted headers?...when I put some painted headers on they smoked for a week or so until it burned all the paint off.
Yes they are painted, I bought these because the car is garaged in the winter and I only really take it out during the summer when its nice out (I have another car as a DD). If this was the problem though, wouldn't they both be smoking? Really only the pass side is smoking and it seems to be coming from somewhere under the header
Old 11-18-2010, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

you had your greasy nasty oily hands all over the headers during the install

if it keeps smoking after about 30 minutes of running then start looking for issues...its pretty normal though, just keep an eye on fluid level

if you used wd40 on the bolts or anything its going to smoke for a while
Old 11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
you had your greasy nasty oily hands all over the headers during the install

if it keeps smoking after about 30 minutes of running then start looking for issues...its pretty normal though, just keep an eye on fluid level

if you used wd40 on the bolts or anything its going to smoke for a while
Yes.

To the Op: you should completely tear one down and rebuild and then watch them smoke haha. I've probably done about 60 engines in my short time of wrenching and almost all smoke a little and they almost always smell the same...

Hopefully this is your case...

Painted headers+dirty fingers+new welds= burning off in the form of smoke when warmed...
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

yeah. its normal. if you think you installed them right, you did. mine smoked for about 20min give or take. ceramic coated here
Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

You see the smoke come off anything specific? or just form above the headers?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by masterz28
You see the smoke come off anything specific? or just form above the headers?
I can't see where it's coming off of (and I'm not really a fan of getting under it while it's running cause I'd rather not have a face full of non-catted exhaust haha) but it's definitely coming from underneath the header, which not surprisingly is where the weld was done. I just thought of too.. the guy that welded them was nice and also spray painted the weld with regular spray paint, maybe that's what's burning off? I can only hope. Good to hear this is a pretty normal thing though, I never really heard of this problem before while doing the research.

Any other thoughts on the SES light not being on? As thrilled as I am that I don't have to get it tuned out, I fear that my car is.. for lack of a better word.. retarded? LOL

One other thing! When I ordered the headers from ws6store.com I specifically asked if they came with o2 extensions.. they said no, so I paid $30 for a new set. Needless to say, I get the headers and what do they come with.. you guessed it, o2 extensions! So if anyone needs a brand new pair..
Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be willing to bet that the smoke is from the spray paint your welder put on. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you running just straight open headers, no Y-pipe or X-pipe, or even header mufflers?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Just open headers for now, I wanna make sure the headers are installed correctly before I put the y pipe on. Ran the car for a good hour the other day and drove it around a little. Still, there was a decen amount of smoke and this time it was coming from both headers
Old 11-21-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure u atleast have turn downs on the headers when running it becase the 02 sensors being that close to fresh air will foul them out very quickly a 1ft long turn down should be just fine.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Captain Double Post

What thunderstruck said mine smoked for a few mins and stoped,
Old 11-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Captain Double Post

Yeah don't drive your car with open headers with out turn downs, lol
Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to keep the headers from rusting,try wiping them down with a rag soaked in tranny fluid a old dirt track trick.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1.) If The LTs are new, then your more than likely seeing the ceramic coating burn a bit. All new headers with coating tend to smoke a bit. It happens! Not a big deal. It'll go away soon. ...
2.) if you didn't wipe down the pipes with brake cleaner and a rag after instal, your probably looking at oil that got smudged on it during the instal burn.

Side Note: I've heard that the lack of backpressure can cause burned valves although I don't know if there's any truth to this. Unless your set up to race with open headers, I would daily drive like that.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

I wouldnt worry about the smoke, unless it continues. After my header install I started my car and was wondering why my driver side header was smoking, then i realized to get the header up i had to remove the oil filter. Thus i had oil all over my hands and dripping all over the collector.

Id just let it run for a bit and wait, plus it might be the paint burning off.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm going to install the y-pipe today and take it for a drive and see how it goes. I'll update with results.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

dont completely disregard the smoke....this guys know what they're talking about and those are all possible causes of smoke....but if you werent careful during the isntall, you may be burning up the wire harness that goes down to the starter. or possibly some of your spark plug wires. it happened to me. if i were you i'd look into it.

Quick Reply: Smoke in engine bay after L/T header install..?