Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tailshaft housing still wont go on.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tailshaft housing still wont go on.

I had to replace my tailshaft housing on my Trans am. I am having trouble getting it back on. I lined up the 5/6 shift rail but still cant get it back together. Seems like the dowels are lined up and the output shaft spins. What else could be binding it up???

I searched and found this thread?.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-back-wtf.html
Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How far does it go down when it stops? Try putting the shift linkage in Reverse and wiggle the 5/6/R rail. Also try turning the inputshaft to mesh the reverse idler.

If it drops almost sealed, check that the alignment dowel holes are clean and don't show any abuse. See if the tail will slide onto the opposite dowels (tail hanging off the edge). Finally, check the dowels with a straight-edge to make sure they're not bent.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Banned

As Mike said, try to wiggle the 5-6-r rail while the tailhousing is being installed. I have a special screw driver I use thats really thin with a fork on it. I usually put it into a gear and turn the input shaft to try and line it up as well. Sometimes, they can be very stubborn. One other thing, check the race for the counter shaft extension. If the race is cocked, it will give you issues as well.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

85mike,

the dowels are straight I checked with the old tailshaft without the guts. After aligning the 5/6 rail it meshes right up.

The new one slides up until about a 1/4 of an inch. As best I can tell the gears are lined up. The output shaft spins as well.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Webz
85mike,

the dowels are straight I checked with the old tailshaft without the guts. After aligning the 5/6 rail it meshes right up.

The new one slides up until about a 1/4 of an inch. As best I can tell the gears are lined up. The output shaft spins as well.
Did you check that the new tail dropped on without the reverse idler and extension bearing race installed? (Did you have the idler off and shims&funnel out when checking the extensionshaft shim value?)

The old housing may have had it's dowel holes wallowed out and is not a good test. You should test fit the new tail with no hardware installed in it.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Did you check that the new tail dropped on without the reverse idler and extension bearing race installed? (Did you have the idler off and shims&funnel out when checking the extensionshaft shim value?)

The old housing may have had it's dowel holes wallowed out and is not a good test. You should test fit the new tail with no hardware installed in it.
I didnt not do that, I will try that next. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Tailshaft housing still wont go on.