Sponsored by:

Computer cutting out on hard launch

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:39 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Computer cutting out on hard launch

Hey all,

After I put the Procharger on my car, the first couple trips to the track were good, except for the last run of the second trip in which the computer cut out on me twice in first gear. The car lost power, and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, but it quickly came back and I was under power again.

Today, I took the car out to the track again, and it did this every run, but it only cut out once, not twice. Basically, I'd start slipping the clutch keeping the RPMs up, but as soon as the car seemed to reach a certain amount of acceleration, it fell on its face, the clutch suddenly bit, the dash lit up, and the gauges dropped to zero. This happened for just a split second, and then I was left to chase after whomever I was racing.

My question to you is this... is there any way that this could be a computer logic issue rather than an electrical problem (like a bad ground or whatever)? Is there some threshhold for some value that could be set that might cause the computer to just kill itself? Or, am I looking at an electrical gremlin?

Thanks in advance. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the battery is bad, could short out or go open under hard accelleration.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 PM
11Second Club

When I originally had the problem, it was an old battery with a corroded positive cable. I now have a new battery (2 weeks old) and brand new positive cable. I have dielectric grease on the terminals, too.

Could it be the alternator? Perhaps my voltage is dropping too much?

BTW, the car doesn't lose the tune or memory or whatever you call it like when you disconnect the battery. It continues to run normally.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

as odd as it sounds, how secure is your battery, I've seen cars leave hard, and the + terminal of the battery grounds out on the chassis for a second causing similar issues and then everything goes back to normal once the battery falls back into position. The front mount for the battery on the f-cars sucks and breaks often. A good launch at your power level could be causing this.

Ryan
Old 11-20-2010, 08:33 PM
11Second Club

Wow. Good call. Mine is broken. I'll check for burn marks. Even if that isn't the solution, great idea.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check the grounds at the back of the head, I had the EXACT samr thing happen to me and one of the grounds were broken. I caould drive all day normal but as soon as I would go wot and get into it the car would shut completely doen, gauges would cycle, and the trip would reset. Felt like car tured completely off. Hope it helps man cause it fought me for a few days
Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 PM
11Second Club

You're a genius. That battery cable is brand new, and you can clearly see where it has been burned arcing against the A/C drier.

Thanks, guys. Now to find the part number for that thing.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there no tech inspection at your track?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 PM
11Second Club

I've been to maybe 7 different tracks in my life, and I've never once had someone grab the battery and try to move it. The front lip of the battery mount isn't easily inspected when the battery is in place, so it's not readily apparent from a visual inspection either.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow
as odd as it sounds, how secure is your battery, I've seen cars leave hard, and the + terminal of the battery grounds out on the chassis for a second causing similar issues and then everything goes back to normal once the battery falls back into position. The front mount for the battery on the f-cars sucks and breaks often. A good launch at your power level could be causing this.

Ryan
It sure sounds like the same issue. I had the same problem and it only happened at the track on launch. The battery will flip toward the strut tower and the battery posts will touch either the tower or the AC causing arcing. I bought a Year One battery strap, removed the flimsy stock bolt, drilled out the hole and put in a grade 8 bolt with a lock nut w/nylon insert. It's now completely secured to the chassis with no more problems.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gauge
I've been to maybe 7 different tracks in my life, and I've never once had someone grab the battery and try to move it. The front lip of the battery mount isn't easily inspected when the battery is in place, so it's not readily apparent from a visual inspection either.
Wow, even the "outlaw" tracks I visit check for a secure battery regardless of location.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad that helped

Ryan
Old 11-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

i need to get one as well i found them here
http://www.partstaxi.com/partlocator...layCatalogid=0