Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on the LSX Block

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on the LSX Block

The LSX block comes in a tall deck and a regular deck. Under what conditions would you use a tall deck and when would you want to use a regular deck.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Teching In

I'm definitely not the expert so if I say this wrong I hope the smart ppl will jump in and clarify but I believe people choose "tall" vs "reg" decks based on their rod / stroke length. For example if you want a stroke length longer than stock you might need to get a block that has a taller deck on it then mill off some of the decking to fit your desired goals.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/rod-tech-c.htm is a good read. It addresses your question from the perspective of rod length. I"m sure there is more info if you google the topic as well.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoneZDriver
I'm definitely not the expert so if I say this wrong I hope the smart ppl will jump in and clarify but I believe people choose "tall" vs "reg" decks based on their rod / stroke length. For example if you want a stroke length longer than stock you might need to get a block that has a taller deck on it then mill off some of the decking to fit your desired goals.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/rod-tech-c.htm is a good read. It addresses your question from the perspective of rod length. I"m sure there is more info if you google the topic as well.

Thanks for the response. Let me ask this question another way. If you were going to build an all out race motor and had decided on the LSX block as the foundation of the build and was aiming at an et of low 9's, which would you use, the tall deck or the regular deck.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:24 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SS125
The LSX block comes in a tall deck and a regular deck. Under what conditions would you use a tall deck and when would you want to use a regular deck.
Standard deck for 4" or shorter stroke crank
Tall deck for 4.125" or longer stroke crank