Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White "X" on back side of cylinder head?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White "X" on back side of cylinder head?

I was changing my oil and removed my skip shift eliminator (tuned out) today and was under the car with a flashlight tracking what might be a small oil leak. Anyways, I happened to look at the back side of the driver's side head, there is a white "X" written on it and just below that is a yellow section that looks like glue residue where (duct) tape might of been. The casting # on the head is 806 and it is using the 98 style perimeter bolt valve covers.

I do know that my PCM was swapped at one point before I had the car. When I pulled the PCM to install the SLP fan switch, the sticker said it was a remanufactured unit. With that said, is it possible the motor or heads were swapped at some point?

Any ideas?

Edit - The back side of the passenger head doesn't have anything written on it and is clean.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

That would be my guess. I cant see them putting that on there from the factory
Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be wrong but some of the 98's had headgasket issues, your car might have been one and had the issue fixed. That would be my guess.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, there were alot of cars that bent pushrods when the LS engine first came out and the valves tapped the pistons. It may have been a warranty repair. My buddy had this happen on his 99 Firehawk not too long after he bought it new.