Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need Help!! Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Need Help!! Newbie

I NEED UR GUYS OPINION, MY CAR IS BASICALLY STOCK, AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT PERFORMANCE PARTS I SHOULD LOOK AT FIRST, LID,INTAKE,THROTTLEBODY,HEADERS,EXHAUST AND SO ON?...I WAS PERSONALLY THINKING THE SUPERCHIP PROGRAMMER, THEN MY INTAKE,HEADERS,AND EXHAUST? ALSO LIST BRAND NAMES TO LOOK AT FOR EACH PRODUCT, ..MY CAR HAS A 160 DEGREE THERMOSTAT, AND A k & n AIR FILTER....THANKS
Old 02-04-2004, 10:35 AM
STF Veteran

Is your car an A4 or M6? If it is an A4 I would get a Yank or Precision Industries torque converter. You will feel the difference.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

1st the caps lock is killing my eyes!!!!

2nd your post sounds similar to a lot of other people's 1st post.

So i'll give you the breakdown of what we need to know.
I am assuming your car is a 98 Z28, but is it an A4 (automatic) or M6 (manual), what gears?
How fast do you wanna go and how much are you willing to spend.
Is it your daily driver or are you planning on turning this into a drag strip car?
Your car probably runs mid to high 13s at the track, your RWHP is probably between 280-310 depending on how GM felt that day they built it.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Oh yeah don't get the superchip or whatever its called, I don't even think it exists and it if does it doesn't work. Did someone with a Maxima or Civic tell you about that?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He means the programmer from Superchips I think. If you dont plan to go very far with your car, the programmer isn't a bad idea. If you ever plan to give your ride any real ***** forget it. As for the rest, Borla or Hooker batbacks are pretty good, esp. on top of some longtubes. Get you a intake lid from Texas Speed. But first check out installuniversity.com for some help with freemods. Laters.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

98z28pwr, im going to give you a little posting tip...7/16ths of an inch...thats how far it is to reach over and hit the caps lock button. 7/16ths of an inch will help you not look like a tool.

i forgot to add...a4 or m6 , do a search too, lotsa information on this site good luck

Last edited by slik98z; 02-04-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:35 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...e+mod+mistakes
Old 02-04-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I think it's agreed - first mod should be !caps lock and second mod should be increase owners knowledge so he / she can make an educated decision on the mods for themselves.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Check the sponsors...

Hit some of those links to the right. Tom Byrne has always done good by me.

First of all, what are yer goals for the car? Is this yer daily driver? Or, do you have the $$$ to make it a serious performer? (Actually, it can be cheaper- much cheaper- to buy a daily driver and mod the hotrod.)

Define your goals! Suspension, engine, braking, handling?

Then, it really is basic w/ a pushrod V8. We're not talking the misery of an overhead cam car. Modifying to any length gets expensive, regardless, but OHC cars are wor$e.

The internal combustion engine is just an airpump. To get more power, just get more air into it (and out of it), and do it efficiently, and you'll have more power. The easiest things to modify on the LS1 are the intake lid and a good catback exhaust. From there, headers are more expen$ive. From there, a decent cam and ported heads are even more expen$ive. Then the LS6 intake, etc, etc.

Stay away from the deliberate tuning until you have altered your valve timing events (i.e. bigger cam). A ported throttlebody is a decent investment for a '99. DO NOT BUY AN AFTERMARKET MAF! Nothing but heartache and grief!

Bigger gears for the differential are nice. Lower control arms, shock tower brace, adjustable panhard, subframe connectors, torque arm. Lotsa good stuff out there.

Check out Thunder Racing. BMR. MTI. Whole lot of good places online. Looking is free. Some places even have tips and ideas on mods.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

I got a 2000 M6 SS. Put Loudmouth exhaust, Air lid and took the MAF screen out of the stock MAF and dyno'd 326 rwhp and 332 rwtq. Not too bad for a pretty stock car. I would do exhaust, everybody loves a good sounding car, and lid and y-pipe. Depending on M6 or A4 I'd go with 4:10's for the M6 and 3:73's for the A4 unless you drive it 300 miles a week. Mine is a daily driver with 4:10's and i sitll get 250 miles to the range around town, so it aint a huge change. I've seen tons of Heads and Cam package LS1's put down close to 400 rwhp with nothing but that package. So thats a good way to go too. Just look around man, there are millions of threads on various boards with discussions just like this one.