Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock speakers blown and suck, Looking for cheap factory speaker replacements....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock speakers blown and suck, Looking for cheap factory speaker replacements....

My car: 1999 TA with monsoon.

Basically my 11 year old factory speakers have seen better days. Just looking for some CHEAP replacement. Again I am not looking for the BEST sound. Just looking for a decent upgrade at a cheap price.

Here are some replacements I found:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+KFC-P708.html

Would these work in the front door and rear seats? I was thinking about just unplugging the speakers that are in the hatch area and not replacing them.

Any help is appriciated.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kfc-p708

I'm glad I checked over this section before posting a question identical to yours.

I checked with Crutchfield and they said the KFC-P708 is a drop in replacement for the stock Monsoon speakers and at $69.00 a good deal.

Like the OP, I'm just looking for an inexpensive replacement for the stock speakers. Anything cheaper/better than the Kenwood speakers, and/or how do the Kenwood speakers sound?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pioneer TS-G1643R are a set of cheap speakers that still sound OK (better than blown stock crap!) and they have GM oversize mount support.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Pioneer TS-G1643R are a set of cheap speakers that still sound OK (better than blown stock crap!) and they have GM oversize mount support.
I'm going to do a little reading up on them, but do you know if they are "plug and play" for the Monsoon system?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Nothing is "plug and play" for the Monsoon system. At the very least you will have to cut the factory connector off and splice it to the replacement speaker to be able to plug into the factory harness.

Those components will work in the doors of a Firebird Monsoon system. They won't work in Camaro doors or the sail panels of either model. Monsoon sail panel speakers are subs and only get low frequency signal from the amp. You should read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section for more information. Then look at replacement speaker packages from Kee Audio or SparksAI (both are sponsors here).
Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Infinity makes a GOOD inexpensive 2 ohm speaker for our cars. I have 62.7i in my car but the are hard to find. But there are other choices, take a look on Ebay I'm sure you can find somthing there.