Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Cam install

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam install

Plan on installing a cam soon in a 1999 camaro ss. Anyone did the install themselves and did you do it with the motor in the car? Need some input, what problems to look out for etc.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

first of all if your doing it with the heads on I recommend you buying this tool
http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...-Tool_108.html

2nd this is the best way to describe the swap! i did it for the first time and have followed it for 3 years
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

i know its not the best of help but if you do as instructed youll be alright
Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

an alternative to that tool is to get a 5/16 dowel rod. works fine and cost next to nothing. people use the wooden dowel rods all the time, it serves the same purpose. get the chrysler 3 arm pully puller not the gm one you can rent it from autozone for free. dont let them give you the gm one, when you say its for a camaro they're going to try to tell you thats the one you need. you want the chrysler 3 arm claw puller. trust. the cam swap is very easy you just have to remove some stuff to clear some space. however, if you're changing vavle springs which more than likely should be done, THAT is a royal pain in the ***. theres a tool you can buy that makes it easIER but not easy. if you want you can pm me and i can show you my cheap alternative to the expensive spring compressor tool.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

cam kit-incl cam,pushrods,double springs with Ti retainers,crank bolt from comp cam works for me

Quick Reply: Cam install