Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not Flowmaster?

I hear a lot about the flowmaster not being all that great. Is it really that bad? I just want a more aggressive exhaust tone. (I'm also considering the Magnaflow as well) Will it actually take away if I have an 80 series installed?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Your standard Flowmaster is not a very free-flowing design (notice how you never find advertised flow numbers from Flowmaster?) - especially the 80-series crossflow design. I agree that the sound is good, but If you want a replacement muffler like an 80-series, I would instead consider a stock replacement Dynomax UltraFlo. Sound is similar (IMO) to a Flowmaster although a bit more quiet and the flow numbers are much better.
If you're looking for a full catback then there are many good choices - just do a search.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by David901
I hear a lot about the flowmaster not being all that great. Is it really that bad? I just want a more aggressive exhaust tone. (I'm also considering the Magnaflow as well) Will it actually take away if I have an 80 series installed?

what about dual 40s or dual single chamber mufflers? are they decent? i know they flow fine for my truck. or did before i started running open headers
Old 02-04-2004, 01:16 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the splitcase Flowmaster that flows bad.
Most other Flowmaster application flow better, but ar not the best flowing compared to designs Magnaflow, Borla, etc....
Old 02-04-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the "bullet" style flomasters aren't so bad. the full catback plain blows.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im almost positive that the single chamber 40 series have the best flow numbers for all flowmasters.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could always get flowmasters and a cutout if you're worried about flow. I have flowmasters and I love em but when I want flow I just open up my cutout, problem solved. Not many other mufflers sound as good as a flowmaster, mine doesn't have any rasp or burping at any rpm.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:45 PM
WFC
Teching In

I always thought flowmaster made the best mufflers and cat-backs for our cars. Check my sig. I had a Loudmouth (was to loud with my cam and no cats But I loved it But the rasp and higway drone drove me crazy) but I then went with the FM cat-back. It was the worst thing I ever did to my car. It was raspy and sounded like a tin can with my set-up. My car's performance was defenitly effected by the "flow" of the system so I had to drive around with my cut-out open all the time. This winter I went with the Magnaflow system and it sounds great. I have only drove my car twice with this setup (to and from TC install) and so far the rasp is almost completly gone!!!! If you plan or have header's, cam ect... I just want to warn you what you might be in for. I wish I listened to everyone else but I was sold on the name for the longest time. Id buy FM products again but not for a moded LS1. FWIW
Old 02-04-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mistacamawo
You could always get flowmasters and a cutout if you're worried about flow. I have flowmasters and I love em but when I want flow I just open up my cutout, problem solved.
That's what I was going to do, but I ended up going with duals instead (long story). You have the FM for when you want good sound (unless on a highly modded car), and the cutout when you want power.

In fact, I still have a brand new 53083 muffler sitting in my aprartment that I'd get rid of cheap...PM me if you're interested
Old 02-04-2004, 09:35 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as stated, it sounds good (i used to have it) but im more pleased with my magnaflow. clip in sig.