Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocker ?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rocker ?

i have a 04 ls1 and i have a tsp tourquer 2 cam, pacesetter headers,and custom 31/2" exhaust. now i am still running the stock rockers with titanium locks and hardened pushrods. what is a good set of roller rockers better than the stock one's. i have been running the stock one's just shy of 40.000 miles. my cam is a 238/248@50 600/605 112lsa. i am starting to pick up alot of ticking all thru the rpm range. i am going to buy new lifters also. i am going to turbo this settup in the future and i need to make sure it will hold up.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are running stock lifters with a new cam???
Old 11-25-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see anything in your setup that would require roller rockers. The stock rockers are quite strong and lightweight. I would consider a trunion upgrade (by Comp Cams or Harland Sharp) to prevent the rockers from coughing up their needle bearings.

If you really want roller rockers I would get Jesel non-adjustables or Yella Terra Ultralites.

Last edited by Darkman; 11-25-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-2010, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

you bet! stock lifters and rockers are good for 1000 hp. i know of a couple of guys that have vettes that are near 800 hp and still on the stock rockers and lifters. they just do not handle the stress for long time. the shop that done mine said they have very seldom put aftermarket rockers on a lsx project.
And mine are still doing fine as far as holding up thru all the rpm range which is 7000. my car has been to the track more times than i can remember, raced on the street in a safe situation, deserted piece of hiway where the cops let us do what we want. and the shop told me that the stock lifters would give me problems before the rockers. and i think that i am hearing the lifters more than the rockers.
I was just looking for someone who could point me in the right direction as to what kind is best! I have driven my goat to vegas and back two times and both times it has gotten me 25-28 on the hiway, and still gets me that after a year and a half. it's my everyday driver to and from work of a 108 miles one way. i drive that once a week or more. i run royal purple 20/50 raceing oil in it. 80.00$ a oil change and i do it myself, but i think that is why the engine is still holding up, because i am very hard on it and the shop told me not to baby the settup and it would perform as expected.
I have not yet had to go back in and do a retune, all i have done is had the idle moved up 100 rpm. It sounds better at idle.If i new how to get a sound clip on my iphone and put it on here i would show you all what it sounds like.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock rockers are fine for your setup. Aftermarket/adjustable rockers really aren't "necessary" until you're running an aftermarket casting (TFS, AFR, etc). Some will say the stock rockers scrub above .550 lift but I've never had a problem with them, and there's a few cammed engines I've put together that have 50,000+ on them now.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by yellowjacketfever
i have a 04 ls1 and i have a tsp tourquer 2 cam, pacesetter headers,and custom 31/2" exhaust. now i am still running the stock rockers with titanium locks and hardened pushrods. what is a good set of roller rockers better than the stock one's. i have been running the stock one's just shy of 40.000 miles. my cam is a 238/248@50 600/605 112lsa. i am starting to pick up alot of ticking all thru the rpm range. i am going to buy new lifters also. i am going to turbo this settup in the future and i need to make sure it will hold up.
The cam specs you gave are not torquer 2 specs. 232/234 .595/.598 on 112 or 114. I would check your valve springs. depending on what springs you are running they are probably in need of replacement. 40k miles is alot for aftermarket valvesprings handling that much lift.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^^ Something that TOO many people forget to do. Every 10K you should be checking them to see if they're still happy until you have enough miles on the first set to see them go away, then know that timeframe is your personal valve spring "lifespan", so to speak.

There's no way to say a spring will last X, there's just too many variables. Starting and how long you let it warm up, how much rpm it sees on a regular basis and how often it sees that RPM for a long time, etc.

Alot of possible causes to change the lifespan, so everyone should be doing this for their own sake. Valve spring breaks, if you are LUCKY it won't take the whole motor out, but usually.... it does enough damage that you're replacing all the pistons, and the heads.... and sometimes the block. (At that point, pretty much the whole thing)
Old 11-28-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

ok for the springs i am useing the dual springs from tsp, it came as a package. and the cam all i can say is that it came in the box with the duration numbers on it! i am not new to the engine building scene, just to these engines. my shop asked me what i was looking for out of the car, i told them 400 rwhp and tq to start! i have been happy so far, it is the one tick that is getting loud the rest is quite.
But it has been doing the ticking for about 20000 miles and has not really gotten worse. i will not worry about the stock rockers as the shop said they were good. the shop told me that very seldom a spring wears out in a dual spring settup, but when it does the other spring will hold until it's replaced. i am wanting to either turbo, or supercharge this settup and i think i will start getting things together for the project!
i have been on here for a very long time, but i have very little time to get on here! my work takes alot of my home time away, and that means no time to play. thanks alot for the info, it was real helpful! kerry!

Search this Thread