Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Cable Slack

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle Cable Slack

My car has been feeling odd as far as punching the gas. I know it's about time for a new clutch, but the throttle response feels delayed. I put my finger under the throttle cable and pull up and there's some slack. I was wondering how much slack should there be from the cover to the throttle bracket. I know my buddy was getting only 80% throttle because his wasn't opening up. Is it possible I've done something to loosen the cable? If so how do I tighten it and how much should I tighten it? Thanks for any help.

Also my fuel pump has been making a lot of noise lately. Everyone keeps telling me GM's fuel pumps are just loud in general. It doesn't idle goofy when it's making the loud noise.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can adjust the slack. Follow the cable back from the TB till you find a little black box like thing. This little "black box" seperates into two pieces. Figure out how two searate it and you adjust the slack by moving them closer/further apart then snap em back together.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
You can adjust the slack. Follow the cable back from the TB till you find a little black box like thing. This little "black box" seperates into two pieces. Figure out how two searate it and you adjust the slack by moving them closer/further apart then snap em back together.
ditto, there are some snaps in the line just draw it up an snap it back together.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Teching In

i haven't tried that yet, but i started it just a little while ago and it like lagged... i think it feels laggy when i punch it. someone said new plugs / wires... another said running a cutout 24/7 can heat the catalyctic converter too high and they'll break, and finally another said to get my fuel pump pressure checked.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98transamnewbie
i haven't tried that yet, but i started it just a little while ago and it like lagged... i think it feels laggy when i punch it. someone said new plugs / wires... another said running a cutout 24/7 can heat the catalyctic converter too high and they'll break, and finally another said to get my fuel pump pressure checked.
id say do what we suggested first cause it is free
Old 02-05-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

yah its a must to check slack when you do the TB bumpstop mod. Mine would only goto 4.5V without reslacking it. then it hit 4.6V after some grindage.