Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head, Cam, Intake, Exhaust project!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head, Cam, Intake, Exhaust project!

I have tried to use the search and find some answers but I think I have some questions that are specific enough to have not found any.
Like stated in the title I am doing some preparation for my project and have some questions and want some opinions.
1. What is the difference between years for longtubes? I am looking at the ARH's and they list 98-99, 2000 and 01-02 I thought the only difference on years that would affect Exhaust is the lack of EGR on 01+
My question on headers is I have a 98 but am doing an LS6 Intake so could I order a 01+ set of headers to simplify removing the EGR? What do you think the risk is of doing this come emissions time?

2. I am trying to decide if I should do lifters while having the heads off, I am considering the LS7 lifters but unsure how aggressive of a cam would require the swap? I am going with a 224 .581 on a 114 cam, run the stock lifters (if look ok) or replace with LS7 Lifters!
Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 the only difference is the emissions fittings. since you are deleting them just get an off road style header.
2 ls7 lifters are GM's stock replacement lifter for all of the ls based motors. I would recommend changing them when the heads are off. they only cost a little over $100 and there is no point in running worn lifters on new cam lobes.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

I understand the year specifics for headers are for emissions differences but what confuses me is that there are 3 header versions 1. 98-99 2. 00 3. 01-02 yet from what I can tell only two setups from the factory 1. 98-00 EGR and Air 2. 01+ Air only
This needs to remain somewhat of an emissions car so I would want to retain AIR but my thought was if I lose the EGR (because of LS6 intake) and I get a longtube that's AIR only I can keep AIR. Then with no connection points on exhaust and intake for EGR an emissions tech would probably not notice it is missing or mistake it for one that had no EGR in the first place.

Because the lifters are GM replacement like you said is why I am considering them. I am just trying to determine if its unnecessary spending to replace them based on my cam selection?
Old 11-26-2010, 03:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cam selection isnt a big deal really its just how much you trust worn roller lifters on a new cam. Many people have no problems, but some have issues with worn out stock lifters tearing up the new cam lobes. The way i see it is #1 the heads are comming off anyway #2 they arent very expensive and #3 if you have an issue with a stock lifter you will have to tear the top end back off to fix it anyway. new lifters are just cheap insurance.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kagato
I have tried to use the search and find some answers but I think I have some questions that are specific enough to have not found any.
Like stated in the title I am doing some preparation for my project and have some questions and want some opinions.
1. What is the difference between years for longtubes? I am looking at the ARH's and they list 98-99, 2000 and 01-02 I thought the only difference on years that would affect Exhaust is the lack of EGR on 01+
My question on headers is I have a 98 but am doing an LS6 Intake so could I order a 01+ set of headers to simplify removing the EGR? What do you think the risk is of doing this come emissions time?

2. I am trying to decide if I should do lifters while having the heads off, I am considering the LS7 lifters but unsure how aggressive of a cam would require the swap? I am going with a 224 .581 on a 114 cam, run the stock lifters (if look ok) or replace with LS7 Lifters!
Thanks for the help everyone!
1. The difference between the 98-99, 00, 01-02 Headers are subtle but will make a difference if you wanted to retain all the factory emissions equipment.

98-99 LTs are nearly the same as the 00 LTs except for the placement of the EGR Port on the Passenger side Manifold/Header. 98-99 have a tube with a 90* bend that brings the EGR flange slightly above the header, where the 2000 comes virtually straight forward and has the connection below the #2 Primary. The driver's side for 98-00 are identical with the placement of the A.I.R. Fitting on the #1 Primary Tube.

You are aware of the lack of EGR on the 01-02 cars so of course there is no EGR port on headers for these cars, but that is not the only difference. The A.I.R. Port on the drivers side header/manifold has been moved back to the #3 Primary on these cars. The A.I.R. Tube on the drivers side of your 98 would be longer than necessary if you were to install a set of 01-02 LTs. I'm sure it could be made to work by simply bending the tubing to meet the flange on the #3 Primary. (You would need to be careful not to put a kink in the tube.)

Since you plan to upgrade to an LS6 Intake, thus eliminating the need for the EGR, if I were you I would take it one step further and remove the A.I.R. System from the car as well. This way you could purchase a set of Off Road/Race Style Headers that don't have any of the emissions fittings. This eliminates the need to bend any tubes or plug ports that are no longer in use and also helps to clean up the engine bay. (I wish I had gone this route.)

2. Its never a bad idea to upgrade to some new lifters and there's never a better time than when the heads are gonna be off the car anyways. Get some LS7's.

Good luck with your build.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys makes more sense now!
So the opinion is replace the lifters while in there regardless of cam/spring pressures?
I would like to run off road headers but it worries me that if I were to and not pass emissions I would be up s**t creek with no options other than throwing the manifolds back on.

Has anyone installed emissions headers, blocked of the fittings and ran the EGR and AIR in a dummy fashion to pass a visual?
I was thinking about doing this, block both off, tune out and attach EGR and AIR in a nonoperational way that can be installed/removed easily once a year to pass the visual.
Its not real strict in my state they mostly just give it a quick look, plug into the port and call it good. I could possibly see them noticing no EGR and AIR and being iffy on passing me!