Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sirius satellite radio guys....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sirius satellite radio guys....

Would it be easier to just buy a headunit with an AUX input than it is to wire it into the stock system. Id love to keep the stock radio for looks sake, but if its easier to upgrade the headunit so be it...Gonna be replacing all the speakers soon anyway and I want to add my sirius radio to the system.

thoughts?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much anything that applies to an iPod/Mp3 aux in connection applies to the Sirius if you want to keep the stock unit. Look under the Monsoon FAQ to do the cheap but effective Aux In (Jason) mod.

I personally prefer my Sirius portable unit rather than having it built into the HU since I move the unit from car to car and I can use my boombox at work. Here's how it looked in my previous car.

(Yes, I know I have the old-style Sportster unit but I've got too much invested in cradles, the boombox, etc.)

I used the Panavise mounting bracket for a clean, solid mount. I had an aftermarket unit that had both an Aux In and an iPod adapter so I didn't have to keep unplugging them, but I eventually just used the aux in for both using a phono splitter plug.

Like you, I prefer the stock HU but I may still go with a good HU with aux in once I get a little $$$$ saved up. The aftermarket adapters (PIE, USA SPEC) cost as much as a good HU and won't work with my stock 1999 HU so that looks like my best option.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found an aftermarket HU that you can change the display color to match the cars interior light color. I'm not a fan of the radio being a completely different color display than the original stock interior lights. I also have a Stiletto 2 that I will be installing in the car and have found a mount similar to the one in the pic.