Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best Drag Radial to drive in rain.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the best Drag Radial to drive in rain.

I know this is a stupid question but is there any drag radial that is good to drive in the rain. I want to put them on my 98 Z28 but it is my daily driver. I have had dr's in the past and know that the BFG's are horrible in the rain. Just don't know about others.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Nitto 555Rs will likely be the best. However, you should always take extra precautions when driving a drag radial in the rain. If that means taking the slower way to get somewhere then so be it.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool. I kind of figured that was the answer but the real question is would these hook my car up if it has all boltons, plus the LS6 intake.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Nitto 555Rs will likely be the best. However, you should always take extra precautions when driving a drag radial in the rain. If that means taking the slower way to get somewhere then so be it.
thanks for the help and quick response.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Nittos are fine for wet pavement and light rain. If there's any standing water, things get ugly quick
Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Been caught in rain with my MT's, no problem if you drive normal. Emergency braking might get interesting.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

My NT05's were ok the couple times I was forced to drive in the rain. But I had to keep it under 50 or so and I avoided the HW. Was really paranoid of hydroplaning. And you gotta be really touchy with the throttle. Keep your traction control on, even though it won't help much if you brake loose going around a turn, but it's a small bit of insurance. And yeah, avoid standing water.

And FWIW, my buddy said his 555's were fine in the rain.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nittos feel like any other normal tire in wet weather. until theyre worn down.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

good info here.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been in rain many times with my 555r's. Also a downpour that I was scared they weren't going to hold because I couldn't see much first and there was huge deep pocket's of water (I was going 25 at the most) but nothing happend. When it was raining on the interstate the few time's I was on there when it was raining I was going 60 and they held up great.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Nitto 555r's, my friends had them and said unless they are worn down they have good traction.

I do not recommend the Mickey Thompson drag radial, I have them and the tread wears down really fast and even when you have it it's really slippery.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard Toyos are decent in the rain, but no matter what tire it is just drive very cautiously. Turns need to be taken as slow as possible.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the Hijack...

For those of you who are running the 555R's, do you have them on all four corners or do you run something different for front tires?

I know its not exactly on topic, but I'm soon to be in the market for some new rubber and would like to try my first Drag Radial. The 555R's seem like a good starting point for a car with the 10 Bolt still intact and considering the info in this thread concerning wet weather traction, I'm leaning in their direction. My car hasn't seen rain in years, but the Wife and I are planning to Long Haul the 2011 Power Tour (think Honeymoon ) and I'd like to be prepared if we hit any rain.

Long-story-short, can I safely run a Nitto 555R (or any other DR) for a front tire or should I look in a different direction to wrap around the front wheels?
Old 11-27-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
nittos feel like any other normal tire in wet weather. until theyre worn down.
I am going to politely disagree with this. But the worn down part I agree with. That would go with ANY tire.

Regular Nitto 555's would be ok because of the tread design, but any R compounds are for race/dry road use and are not designed with wet traction in mind. My NT05's are a road race tire, are not an R compound, but they do not have a tread design that would work well with sweeping water away from the center of the tire or away from the contact patch. They have a huge bald spot in the center that is meant for dry traction. That is the only thing that worried me about these tires in the rain (NOT05's.) They'd be asking for hydroplaning. = A tire riding on top of the surface of the water instead of biting into it and sweeping the water away from the tire.

Now when you look at lets say the GS-D3's from Goodyear, those are an all-season performance tire designed for wet and dry traction. And I can attest that I was 100% confident in those tires in the rain, but my NT05's would scare me a little because they would break loose if I tried to. But then again, this is comparing apples to oranges and i had GS-D3's on a bolt on car and NT05's on a h/c car.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-27-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I am going to politely disagree with this. But the worn down part I agree with. That would go with ANY tire.

Regular Nitto 555's would be ok because of the tread design, but any R compounds are for race/dry road use and are not designed with wet traction in mind. My NT05's are a road race tire, are not an R compound, but they do not have a tread design that would work well with sweeping water away from the center of the tire or away from the contact patch. They have a huge bald spot in the center that is meant for dry traction. That is the only thing that worried me about these tires in the rain (NOT05's.) They'd be asking for hydroplaning. = A tire riding on top of the surface of the water instead of biting into it and sweeping the water away from the tire.

Now when you look at lets say the GS-D3's from Goodyear, those are an all-season performance tire designed for wet and dry traction. And I can attest that I was 100% confident in those tires in the rain, but my NT05's would scare me a little because they would break loose if I tried to. But then again, this is comparing apples to oranges and i had GS-D3's on a bolt on car and NT05's on a h/c car.
ill be more specific and say my nitto DRs felt fine in wet weather on both of my cars.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Sorry for the Hijack...

For those of you who are running the 555R's, do you have them on all four corners or do you run something different for front tires?

I know its not exactly on topic, but I'm soon to be in the market for some new rubber and would like to try my first Drag Radial. The 555R's seem like a good starting point for a car with the 10 Bolt still intact and considering the info in this thread concerning wet weather traction, I'm leaning in their direction. My car hasn't seen rain in years, but the Wife and I are planning to Long Haul the 2011 Power Tour (think Honeymoon ) and I'd like to be prepared if we hit any rain.

Long-story-short, can I safely run a Nitto 555R (or any other DR) for a front tire or should I look in a different direction to wrap around the front wheels?
Drag radials are for traction. There is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in running a drag radial out front. Run the cheapest street tire you can find. Putting a drag radial on the frnot is just a waste of money. DO NOT DO IT.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely good info about drag radials. i also plan on running nitto 555R for the rears. ill try to do everything not to drive in the rain.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

i cant say whats good in the rain, but I can tell you that BFG's SUCK in the rain. My a**hole has never been puckered tighter when i got caught in the rain on the highway. 50mph TOPS and she would skate around pretty easily.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WSsick
Drag radials are for traction. There is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in running a drag radial out front. Run the cheapest street tire you can find. Putting a drag radial on the frnot is just a waste of money. DO NOT DO IT.
i have them on all fours but i agree youre better off with something else.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
i cant say whats good in the rain, but I can tell you that BFG's SUCK in the rain. My a**hole has never been puckered tighter when i got caught in the rain on the highway. 50mph TOPS and she would skate around pretty easily.
Now this sh**t is funny as hell kind sounds like when I had mine on and spun out of control at about 30mph in front of a 18 wheeler felt the samething with my a**hole.

Quick Reply: What is the best Drag Radial to drive in rain.