Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! sbc swap in v6 fourth gen firebird HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! sbc swap in v6 fourth gen firebird HELP!

need some help.... as i started tearin the car (1999 firebird) apart yesterday i realized getting the motor out is going to more of a job than i thought and getting one in is going to be just as fun.

im putting a 383 carb motor with a 400 trans i have the mount for the trans to fit but i have no idea how im going to get the motor in i was hoping somebody on here has done the swap and posted it and maybe i missed it!

thanks guys!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Teching In

i have a 2002 camaro, it was a 3.8 v6 car. i bought it less motor and trans and it was wrecked in the front end. i installed a bmr tublar k-member that had the sbc mounts with it.
i installed the the long block in the car from the top,(shortblock and heads with the oilpan installed,less intake) it will go in. the trick is to turn the engine sideways,flexplate should be turned toward the passenger side. once the engine is halfway down ,lower than the cowl.you can start turning it around. the one thing i like about the tubular k-member is the engine mounts have studs that on the bottom that sit down in the k-member.(check out the k-member on there website bmrfabrication.com and looked at the pics).
if you leave out the bottom bushing you can get the engine to set lower and not have to cut or notch the back of the cowl if you use a quadrajet carburetor. i bracket race my car,so i installed a quickfuel 850 carb and had to cut a place on the botton of the cowl to clear the rear needle and seat. it has pacesetter lt1 longtubes on it and they work fine. when you get ready to install intake,take the distributor and slide it thru the intake,leave the distributor cap off and install it all at the same time, a extra set of hands come in handy!! i used a hei in my car and its a pain to install the distributor cap but it can be done. after that i installed a 350 turbo i also used a bmr transmission crossmember. hope this helps.....jeff
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

forgot to mention, i used a dual plane manifold, a performer.if you went with something taller ,you will run into clearence problems with the cowl.

Quick Reply: HELP! sbc swap in v6 fourth gen firebird HELP!