Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing cover??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing cover??

whats the difference between the 6 liter and ls1 timing cover and rear cover? doing a 6l swap in a 98 trans am and was wondering if there both the same?

thanks
Old 11-27-2010, 11:46 PM

I asked a similar question...My question was what covers work on a 98 LS1 and here is the answer I got.

You can use the front cover, valley cover, rear cover from the 5.3 as long as its from 06 and prior years with no problem. Same thing for 6.0 or 4.8. You cannot use his fuel rails or injectors unless you use his intake as the truck intake, rails, and injectors are completely different. You can use the rockers as well and the valve covers, and all the sensors possibly besides the oil pressure sending unit and the MAP sensor. Everything else is the same.

"It sounds like as long as your 6.0 is an 06 or older engine then they are the same."
Old 11-27-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JohnLoose
I asked a similar question...My question was what covers work on a 98 LS1 and here is the answer I got.

You can use the front cover, valley cover, rear cover from the 5.3 as long as its from 06 and prior years with no problem. Same thing for 6.0 or 4.8. You cannot use his fuel rails or injectors unless you use his intake as the truck intake, rails, and injectors are completely different. You can use the rockers as well and the valve covers, and all the sensors possibly besides the oil pressure sending unit and the MAP sensor. Everything else is the same.

"It sounds like as long as your 6.0 is an 06 or older engine then they are the same."
sweet,i was hoping it will..im building a 6l and didnt want to wait to pull the motor out the car to get the covers for the 6l,,

thanks