View Full Version : anybody with yellow lab?

96RamAirTA
11-29-2010, 11:15 AM
well me and my wife are looking at getting a 10month old one soon i was wondering if any one here on tech has one or had experince with them? i looked around online and they seem like a great family dog. just wanted you guys out there .02 cents

Element
11-29-2010, 11:21 AM
We've had two...great dogs. I don't know that you can get a more people-friendly happy dog than a yellow lab.

Zac_Speed
11-29-2010, 11:26 AM
DON'T buy one from a breeder. Get one from a shelter, those dogs appriciate what you do for them more. About two months ago someone dumped a black lab in my back yard, it was probably only 8 weeks old. Since my Husky didn't eat him we figured he deserved to stay...

They need to be inside most of the time, they LOVE water, and need lots of attention the first two years. Very smart dogs though. I also have 4 kids and he's great with them all even my 2 y/o...

cambirdracing
11-29-2010, 01:15 PM
becareful of their tail, will knock over anything, :). give them a ball and a big yard and have fun.

deelong4002
11-29-2010, 01:22 PM
You can never go wrong with a Lab of any color for a family. Just expect them to need alot of attention until they are about 2 or 3. Then all they will want to do is eat and sleep after that unless you keep them active. They get real lazy in their older years if you let them. I've had 2 black labs, and two chocolates.

96RamAirTA
11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
ya i was wondering about there temperments cause i have a 5yr old, 18 month old and a 3 month old and my 2 oldest love dogs. so i wanted to make sure if i get it will be good with them and yes i do plan on training it. and our back yard is decent sized considering i live on base.

TechCam97
11-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Labs are great with kids, my two daughters (oldest turns six next month, and the youngest turns two in March) both love my Chocolate lab. I grew up with labs, my father loved them and always had them around. Over the course of my childhood we had three black labs and a yellow lab. Great dogs, great personalities, great friends. Here's my chocolate male lab Rufus;

He's about 8 weeks old in this picture, just got him. I think it was around late May.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/BrightRed93Z28/0523101107-00.jpg

Here he is in early October standing at the window in my kitchen. The window is roughly 4 feet off the ground.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/BrightRed93Z28/100_0549.jpg

He's grown since then, I'm 6'2" and he can stand on his hind legs and lick me on the face! haha! Like was mentioned earlier in the thread, be aware that labs LOVE to chew on things when they are puppies (basically up to around 2 years old). Anything. Wood trim around doors, patio furniture, bricks. ANYTHING. They grow out of the habit though, some sooner than others. They calm down a bit too and that's when I start letting them in the house more often. Right now my lab has to stay outside because he's just SO, SO hyper. He's a loving dog (like all the other ones we've owned) and he's a good friend, so if you have the chance to get one then I'd say go for it!

reality1
11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Don't overlook a Lab mix.

I have a Lab/golden Retriever mix that will be 5 on Christmas. He is a certified Therapy Dog and has been making hospital and nursing home visits since he was 1 yr. old.

I feel it is important to invest time training and socializing a Lab puppy.
This will make them very gentle with anyone or any dog. There are behaviors they must learn are unacceptable, i.e. chewing, barking, being mouthy.
By the time they are a year old they will be almost physic and try and please you any way they can.

This is my second Lab mix. He has never been sick, however yearly visits to the vet for shots, etc, will add gladly to your expense. I feed him Newman's own dog food, I advoid anything with the Chinese ingredients. I believe many allergy problems with dogs come from their diet.

Meet the parents and look at the conditions the puppy has lived in. Too many puppy mills with inbred puppys or health problems.

Jim

96RamAirTA
11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
man Tech me and you seem to have the same taste in things first those CZs now lab. and thanks for the comments guys ill have my wife ask the for as much info as she can get about the puppy and its parents.

96RamAirTA
11-29-2010, 10:22 PM
well wife got the dog. woke up this morning and got online and there he was

9WhiteCamaro9
11-30-2010, 03:43 AM
I can't be much help on this. Never had one. All I have is two boxers. But I've heard that Labs are great dogs though.

TXCAMSS
12-02-2010, 09:24 PM
You will love your new Lab. They are awesome dogs. Good call on the choice of breed.