Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Selection Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans Selection Help

So plans are for ~700whp out of a relatively stock Turbo'd 5.3 (ls intake, rod bolts, springs, maybe cam) in a stripped Volvo 240. Curb weight of the vehicle is 3022lb, but with no rear seats, carpet, door panels, ect. I should see south of 2800lbs.

My dilemma is choosing a transmission, manual T56 or a 4l60e. What you would run if it were your project and why. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion (keep in mind I said OPINION) I would say neither. I don't find sticks to be nearly as fun and useful with boost and I don't think the 4l60e's hold up well enough. It would have to be a very well built 4l60e. My choices would be either a Turbo400 for a budget deal (especially since you can get away with a very mild 3.08ish gear) or a decently built 4l80e if you are set on the overdrive.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
Turbo400 for a budget deal (especially since you can get away with a very mild 3.08ish gear) or a decently built 4l80e if you are set on the overdrive.
Thanks for the input. The TH400's are much cheaper from what I have read and heard. I am new to automatics, so the concepts of a loose or tight converter, stall, ect. are a bit foreign.

$ to $ however I can grab a T56, decent clutch and flywheel, and be set for under $2000-2500. When looking at the 4l80e, even junkyard units in need of a rebuild were in the $1000 range plus a converter, shift kit, cooler, controller, and shifter I would be looking at closer to $4k. The TH400 would be cheaper but I loose the highway efficiency.

I might be over analyzing the whole thing, I just want to do things once, if it breaks no big deal, but I don't want to regret my decision between auto or manual.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue Status
Thanks for the input. The TH400's are much cheaper from what I have read and heard. I am new to automatics, so the concepts of a loose or tight converter, stall, ect. are a bit foreign.

$ to $ however I can grab a T56, decent clutch and flywheel, and be set for under $2000-2500. When looking at the 4l80e, even junkyard units in need of a rebuild were in the $1000 range plus a converter, shift kit, cooler, controller, and shifter I would be looking at closer to $4k. The TH400 would be cheaper but I loose the highway efficiency.

I might be over analyzing the whole thing, I just want to do things once, if it breaks no big deal, but I don't want to regret my decision between auto or manual.
My take - you should be able to get a low-mile 4L80e and put in a TransGo and be set for a good while. Should be able to do that for $1k, or a little more. A higher stall converter of high quality will cost you, but you may be able to find one used and have it cleaned/restalled. Or just use a stock converter if necessary. A cooler is less than $100. You can control the 4L80E with the LS1 PCM, and rewire the trans connection or get an adapter from 4L60E to 4L80E, if your harness is set up for an auto. You'll need a shifter either way, right? I would think you could do it for the same 2000-2500 or less with some shopping.

A good article on converter stall...
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ter/index.html