View Full Version : Meeting with a recruiter

bamalt1
12-01-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm meeting with an Army recruiter on Monday. I'm going to try to get something with IT or possibly an MP if there are any positions available. I took the ASVAB a few years ago and made a 74 but I should do better now after taking a few more math classes.My uncle is an E-6 so I have a basic understanding of most things. Anybody have any specific questions I should ask? I'm 23,married with a kid on the way, and will be an E-3 going in with my college credits. I already know to get any promises written in the contract or it's not valid. I'm looking to make it a career not just a 4 year thing. Thanks for any advice.

Asian LSX
12-01-2010, 06:49 AM
I'd try to get your asvab up so you can have more options as far as jobs go. Coming from my personal experience working with joes, think hard about MP especially if you're married with a kid on the way. Some of the guys and gals i work with whine all the time about thier job as an MP and fail to realize what the job consisted of and made that choice themselves. When I first signed up, I never really listened to the recruiter telling the bs but later found out with time he never really told me bs so there are some good recruiters out there. I was initially going to do 3 but re-uped for 6.

afclubkid21
12-01-2010, 07:14 AM
my suggestion is skip the army and go talk to the air force. If you want an IT job thats where its at. Just be careful with the army. I have heard a ton of horror stories about the army. Sign up for one job, have it put in their contract, and suddenly after basic they become infantry because of manning issues.

99FormulaM6
12-01-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm not going to tell you what to do or bash any other services, but if you think about the Navy, you can send me a PM about anything you want to know. I am a recruiter in Clearwater for the past few years..

ColeGraham
12-01-2010, 07:32 AM
IT go AF.

all classes are college acredited, and you will do more with a computer.

99FormulaM6
12-01-2010, 07:41 AM
IT go AF.

all classes are college acredited, and you will do more with a computer.

As well as with the Navy...

ss1129
12-01-2010, 07:47 AM
IT go AF.

and you will do more with a computer.

Myth.

Myth.

This is the AF and Navy making shit up. LOL.

blubaldmontess
12-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I believe in every branch you can transfer over your military schooling to college credits. I transfered mine over to my college no problem, both 68w (medic) and 68G (hospital admin).

Not as much the questions you should ask, but find out what you qualify for. After you figure that out, ask around on here and on the military forums, or even at yahoo answers. I'd deter from the MP side, no offense, but its hard on a family, a lot of deploying, a lot of wierd shift hours ect. Find a job you'll enjoy and that you can use after the military.

For the horror stories, usually they are from those that just have to bish about something, or feel that the army/air force/navy/marine corp owed them something. If they were "reclassed or recyled" they may have had to switch jobs. If you can't hack it as say IT, and they need people in Supply, chances are you may be sent to train in supply. It just happens. Also expect that alot of jobs will be closed. Treat it like a car buying experience, unless you really need it when you get there, you can wait for the job to come open that you want. Sometimes you wait a week, sometimes a few months, but it guarentees you'd get the job you want.

StoreKeeper99Z28
12-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Navy also

Rx Bruce/LSCM

acertx
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Pick your duty station if you can. Then get the shortest contract possible. You can always reenlist if you like it plus when you reenlist you'll have options again about your duty station etc. I also never met a single person who was forced into being in the Infantry after basic lol.

afclubkid21
12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Pick your duty station if you can. Then get the shortest contract possible. You can always reenlist if you like it plus when you reenlist you'll have options again about your duty station etc. I also never met a single person who was forced into being in the Infantry after basic lol.

I was using infantry as an example. was just saying that they were switched out of the job they signed up for is all.

Asian LSX
12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Just be careful with the army. I have heard a ton of horror stories about the army. Sign up for one job, have it put in their contract, and suddenly after basic they become infantry because of manning issues.

Not being a smart ass but, please explain this.

EDIT:
Ok, I see now, I was reading this and logged in and then typed the above

KevinR
12-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Honestly, if I were going to make a career out of the Military, I think I would choose the Air Force over the Army. I was in the Marine Corps, so I don't have any experience in the two, other than working with them during a joint task force. I'm not trying to bash the Army or anything, I just think I would go a different route for a career. That's just me though. Also, whatever you choose is completely up to you, but I (personally) would wait and enjoy the time with your new child cause you are going to be gone for a while once you take that step. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

bamalt1
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I had looked at the Air Force first but the wait for basic for them is way longer than the Army. As far as the Navy goes, I don't like the thought of being on a ship for 6 months. I've been out of a job since July and my funds are drying up or I would wait. If I can get into basic by the middle of February, I'll be out in time for the baby to be born.

ss1129
12-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I had looked at the Air Force first but the wait for basic for them is way longer than the Army. As far as the Navy goes, I don't like the thought of being on a ship for 6 months. I've been out of a job since July and my funds are drying up or I would wait. If I can get into basic by the middle of February, I'll be out in time for the baby to be born.

Hmm possibly be on a ship for 6 months or deploy for 12 witht the army...not including pre deployment build ups.

bamalt1
12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
I went on the USS Alabama when I was like 12 and had to duck to go through every door and didn't like it at all.

99FormulaM6
12-01-2010, 05:43 PM
The Navy isn't for everyone. Being on a ship isnt that bad though..and having a 6 month deployment where you can see half the world is better than 12 months in the desert.

Hope you get something good that will benefit you in the long run..

Anniversary "Z"
12-01-2010, 06:05 PM
I chased a dream of playing ball which ended in injury so I never got the opportunity to serve. All I can say to you is if you are doing it for the right reasons I hope everything works out to your expectations and THANK-YOU!

As goes to ALL of you LS1Techers that serve.

FrankSS
12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
if you want a job that will always be available on the outside if you were to ever get out, look into something helicopter or aviation related.... with me being a 15J (OH-58D electronics) and 15E (UAV Technician) I can get out and have a good job within a few weeks. feel free to PM me if you want more info on the jobs.

bamalt1
12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
My uncle is wanting me to do Contracting when I get to an E-5. He says he'll make 100k+ a year after he retires. I'm not real sure what I want to do but I have to get a list of what's open. I'll need to start running soon to make sure I have no problems with the running. The pushups and situps I don't think will be too bad.

FrankSS
12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
I know for a fact that the UAV field had a lot of contractor slots open, and they start out at 140k being deployed....

bamalt1
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
What kind of work is it? Is it more mechanical or electrical? How was AIT? What's a normal day like?

jarheadtex
12-01-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm meeting with an Army recruiter on Monday. I'm going to try to get something with IT or possibly an MP if there are any positions available. I took the ASVAB a few years ago and made a 74 but I should do better now after taking a few more math classes.My uncle is an E-6 so I have a basic understanding of most things. Anybody have any specific questions I should ask? I'm 23,married with a kid on the way, and will be an E-3 going in with my college credits. I already know to get any promises written in the contract or it's not valid. I'm looking to make it a career not just a 4 year thing. Thanks for any advice.

Go talk to all Branches.......then go see the Marines last.

ColeGraham
12-02-2010, 12:45 AM
I had looked at the Air Force first but the wait for basic for them is way longer than the Army.

there is a very good reason for that.

the Air Force treats it people WAY better. i say this because of family and friends i have. i am the only one in the AF, and a couple are in the Navy, about 4 in the Marines, and a whole lot in the Army. all in the Marines and Navy like it, but say the Air Force treats their people better and have a lot nicer. But a lot of the people i have talked to in the Army said they wished they would have joined a different branch. biggest reasons, 12 to 18 month deployments and they had their MOS changed without them knowing it happened.

Wolfe22
12-02-2010, 02:09 AM
there is a very good reason for that.

the Air Force treats it people WAY better. i say this because of family and friends i have. i am the only one in the AF, and a couple are in the Navy, about 4 in the Marines, and a whole lot in the Army. all in the Marines and Navy like it, but say the Air Force treats their people better and have a lot nicer. But a lot of the people i have talked to in the Army said they wished they would have joined a different branch. biggest reasons, 12 to 18 month deployments and they had their MOS changed without them knowing it happened.

:D X2
You say you have a kid on the way, so AF IT/tech jobs would likely afford you the most time at home to enjoy your family, the military can be really hard on a family. Especially for a new Mother, she just had a baby and now she has to move away from family/friends/etc...
I'm in the AF, I love it, my job however is kinda boring... 2W2X1...

ColeGraham
12-02-2010, 02:37 AM
i am a 1W0X1...weather, haha.

and a shop member wife is having a baby, so my shop has worked with him. they let him block off this entire month for leave, and he will start it when ever the baby pops out and take his leave from there. so he is own "admin" shifts until then, and then he will be on leave for 2 weeks, plus the 10 days of "paternity leave.

FrankSS
12-02-2010, 05:20 AM
UAV work is cake. The 15E job is probably equal 50/50 elec/mech.... It is a brand new MOS, so I didnt go to the AIT. I was a 15J first, then went to a second, 3 month school (I have a total of 1 yr in schooling now). typical day deployed is to come on shift, receive briefings, preflight and launch an airplane (1 Hr), land and service airplane (1-2hr), chill for a few hrs and do the launch/land cycle again.

afclubkid21
12-02-2010, 07:24 AM
typical day deployed is to come on shift, receive briefings, preflight and launch an airplane (1 Hr), land and service airplane (1-2hr), chill for a few hrs and do the launch/land cycle again.

Thats a typical day for a crew chief on day shift in the air force. Well fighter world at least. Easy job, good money. Im in the AZ ANG now, but I miss active duty.

blown90camaro
12-02-2010, 10:27 PM
i just recently went AF Reserve, walked into the recruiter nov 8th, had to go to meps to take the asvab and all the other shit, picked 3p031 (catm) and goin to basic feb 28th, and i could have picked an earlier date but didnt for school reasons, anyways you can go full time in the reserves whenever you want, as long as there is a position open, might be good for a family as well..and shorter deployments 4 months currently..

FrankSS
12-05-2010, 12:33 PM
well you going tomorrow or what?

bamalt1
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Yep still going. I've been looking at a lot of jobs in 15 and 89 class where AIT would be about an hour from my house at Redstone Arsenal.

ss1129
12-05-2010, 05:01 PM
If you pick a job because the school is close to your house..you're picking the job for the wrong reason.

bamalt1
12-05-2010, 05:12 PM
That's not why I was looking at them lol. I just noticed it when I was checking them out.

brian_rs/ss
12-05-2010, 05:26 PM
i say marine corps. i'm towards the end of my 2 month work up, and i'll be in country for 210 days. versus the army's year long deployments. and it doesn't matter what MOS you choose in the usmc, everybody has to deal with the same shit(good and bad). my admin guys are always in the field right next to me...along with the cooks, intel, mp's, nbc, armorers, supply etc etc. i'm motor-t and i get to interact with literally everybody. and i can honestly say that your MOS doesn't really matter. grunts hump a lot and play a lot of stupid games. but they don't have to deal with office b.s. POG's have it a little easier physically, but it's a trade off in actual work load.

as far as family goes, your wife is a grown woman. the military will make sure she has what she needs while you're away. a good number of guys in my unit are going to miss the birth of their kids while in country. but that's the way shit goes in any branch. you just deal with it.

1BDHWK
12-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Good luck with your recruiter. Whatever job you choose, think about what job you can use when you get out/retire. I'm at 13 yrs in the Marine Corps and love it. But, if I were to guide someone on what service to join, who has a family and little ones on the way, I would say go Air Force. They take care of their Airmen. You get paid the same, and life is cush.

I'm not going to bash any of the Services. They all have a purpose.

Oh yeah....I have a month and a half left out of a year long tour in AFG.:chug: So Marines stay for a year or more in the desert too. :bang:

BOA279
12-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Air Force here and I can tell you the wait is worth it. My Dad was Army and I can't tell you the number of Christmas's and Birthdays he missed....when I told him I wanted to go in the military he refused to let me go in the Army. He always said "go Air Force, go Air Force" so I did. I've been in nearly 10 years, Haven't deployed once and the times I did leave it was for a few days here and there to make some extra cash and get tax free. DO YOUR FAMILY A FAVOR AND GO AIR FORCE. I have several friends in IT....they love it.

EDIT: did I mention that the vast majority of Air Force Deployments are 4 months even it you did deploy? See above post for comparison. ^^

FrankSS
12-05-2010, 08:54 PM
ya dont choose a job because the school is close to home... do it based on whatever will keep your interest for at least a few years to come

bamalt1
12-06-2010, 06:41 PM
I took the EST test today and the recruiter was raving about how good my score was. He said I'll score high enough to get into Flight School. I'm not going to get too excited about it until it's signed. I take the ASVAB tomorrow morning. I have to fill out the Security questionnaire and come up with a list of jobs.

99FormulaM6
12-06-2010, 07:29 PM
what was your EST score?

bamalt1
12-06-2010, 07:38 PM
78. It doesn't show the line scores though.

sparky1397r
12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Yep still going. I've been looking at a lot of jobs in 15 and 89 class where AIT would be about an hour from my house at Redstone Arsenal.

if you go 89, go 89D.

you'll get to hang out at redstone for a bit and then party in florida for 7 months. :chug:

bamalt1
12-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Lol, EOD is at the bottom of my list.

FrankSS
12-07-2010, 05:16 AM
in order for you to be able to go to flight school, you will have to have a 110+ GT score. Also for any other technical job, your line scores will have to be over 105 in selected fields. (my lowest is a 136 ADMIN, 119 GT)

you might be able to go fly UAV's, sine they let enlisted soldiers do that... but it isnt what you would think it is. If you try to go to helicopter flight school, then you will need to start looking at this website: http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/WOFT.html .

personally, i would rather have a hands on mechanical job rather than anything else. I guess its the job satisfaction everyday that you fixed a multi-million dollar aircraft, kept it serviceable, and ensured that the flight crew will always have a safe flight....

FrankSS
12-07-2010, 05:18 AM
and what ever you do, dont make a rash decision... or let the guys at MEPS push you into a job.... know exactly what you want, and dont take any of their crap. if they try to b/s you, just get up and walk out

ColeGraham
12-07-2010, 07:04 AM
and what ever you do, dont make a rash decision... or let the guys at MEPS push you into a job.... know exactly what you want, and dont take any of their crap. if they try to b/s you, just get up and walk out

this is the best advice for anyone going into any branch, haha.

MEPS tired to get me to sign a 6 year contract becuase that what i was going to do. since my job had a bonus for 6 year enlistments the first time i went to MEPS. the second time i went, when i was on my way to BMT, they handed my my 6 year enlistment and told me the job lost its bonus. i told them to make it a 4 year term then. they didnt want to do that at all. so i told them its either 4 years or i am not going. they then handed me a 4 year contract, haha. and now here i sit with almost 7 years in.

which will lead me to another peice of advice, dont big a job because it has a big bonus. pick something you really want to do. i have seen several guys pick job for the bonus and wish they never had. they hate the job, and it made their time terrible.

afclubkid21
12-07-2010, 07:36 AM
personally, i would rather have a hands on mechanical job rather than anything else. I guess its the job satisfaction everyday that you fixed a multi-million dollar aircraft, kept it serviceable, and ensured that the flight crew will always have a safe flight....

I am the same way. I feel that personal satisfaction every time one of the F-16s worked on gets into the air.

bamalt1
12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
I know about warrant officer school. I'd love to get in but if I don't, it' not that big of a deal. About to take the asvab at 9am.

bamalt1
12-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Made an 88 on the ASVAB. I will find out my line scores probably Friday. I will pick my job and go to MEPS next week.

ANTICOP RAM AIR
12-07-2010, 06:56 PM
sign for the shortest contract you can, just in case you change your mind.. even after your first 4yr enlistment you will still be in the zone for the largest reenlistment bonus... its all about how many years you have in and your rank at the time of reenlistment.. generally the most important line score is the g/t general technical score and as long as it is over 110 you can pretty much do whatever you want,. i scored a 94 on the asvab and had a gt score of 131.. i chose to be a damn mechanic but i got to go to iraq and design systems to better protect our guys in the up armor 1114 hummers...

by the way, my bonus was 15k in 2002 when i joined.... my exwife got both dispursments as i was in iraq 10 days after i got to Ft Hood..the give you the bonus half after you process your duty station the the other half is disbursed on your anniversary date each year till its gone... minus 22-24% for taxes...

sparky1397r
12-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Lol, EOD is at the bottom of my list.

if you don't want it don't put it on the paper.

bamalt1
12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I didn't. What I meant was that I wasn't going to agree to it.

HoLLo
12-08-2010, 02:15 AM
Good job on your scores. I can't comment on time to leave for services. I joined at MEPS and left for BMT for the AF 3 weeks later, because I had a guaranteed job in Airfield Management. It sounded good at the time, and a year and a half later I'm enjoying it. I deploy for 6months next summer.

ANTICOP RAM AIR
12-08-2010, 08:08 AM
when i hear of deployments for six months it always makes me laugh a little... i was deployed 3 times in 5.5 years for 14months the first time and 1yr the other time.... I was Army but the Marines sometimes got it worse than we did. My best friend is an AF TSgt in San Antonio and his deployments were anywhere from 6 weeks to 90 days most of the time and he still managed to not get picked to go...

ColeGraham
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
AF deployments really will depend on your job.

a few job (Intel, Cops) are on a 1 to 1 dwell. which means 6 months home and 6 months deployed. i guy (intel) i was stationed with has been in 12 years, and been deployed 8 times, and on a remote twice. he has spent more time overseas (about 7 an half years total) then stateside.

my job (Weather) depends on location. If i am army support, i will deploy for 6 to 8 months, and be home for about 12.

most regular AF jobs are on a 1 to 3 dwell. 6 months gone, 18 home. but you will only. but some people have been in 10 years and never deployed. i knew a guy that spent 22 years in and deployed once at year 21. he then go out after that.

Pewter_LS1
12-23-2010, 01:45 PM
So how'd the talk go with the recruiter?

bamalt1
12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
I got back from MEPS Tuesday. I signed for 6 years as a 15W starting as an E-3. I leave for Basic March 15th at Fort Jackson then go to Fort Huachuca, AZ for 34 weeks. I posted in the MOS thread since I didn't think anybody would even check this one lol.

Pewter_LS1
12-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Nice congrats! Im a recruiter here near jackson

bamalt1
12-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks. How's the weather up there from March to May? Is it real humid or not too bad?

Pewter_LS1
12-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Weather isnt bad during those months...humidity really kicks in june -sept you might catch little bit of it and if your not used to it then it may feel worse..but being from AL shouldnt be that much different..

bamalt1
12-23-2010, 02:42 PM
That's what I expected. I think when I go to AZ, I'll have to learn to not look at a thermometer. I see 110 degrees and I may pass out lol. Everything I've heard though is that 110 there feels like 80 here.

99FormulaM6
12-24-2010, 07:03 AM
I just google'd 15W and it looks like you got a good job. Congrats and good luck!

bamalt1
12-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks. I've heard it's the best job in the Army but I'm planning on using as a stepping stone to flight school but if I can't get in, I'll at least have a job I enjoy. I'll be getting my first promotion(to E-4) between 9 and 15 months after AIT. It's hard to find much info about it though but from what I've seen Fort Jackson is the "easiest" BCT and Fort Huachuca is nice and you get treated well. The only thing I know about possible duty stations is that I'll go somewhere with an Intelligence unit.