Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF opinions

Hey guys im looking at buiying a MAF for my 98 ws6 to add to the lid,stat,and exhaust i already have, which is better for the price? the granatelli or the slp?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2004, 10:34 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The free one that's in your car already. I'm not kidding. (Well, it's not free, but it was included in the purchase price of your car.... )

Use that money towards the purchase of something else! You can get QTP cutout for that price.

Also, please tell me you did not order a Flowmaster Catback.. worst flowing aftermarket exhaust.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree - I have seen cars dyno back to back with similar bolt-ons and the stock MAF proved better. From my own experience, my stock MAF (descreened) proved better than SLP's. I ran .2 better at the track!!! Maybe once you go with some heavier mods - an aftermarket MAF will help, but not right now, for the money - there are some better things to do...
Old 02-05-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock maf will support 450 rwhp on your car.

all an aftermarket maf does is trick the computer into thinking the car is under less load, sees less air, = less fuel and more timing.

good for tempary power, but bad for real tuning.

Ryan
Old 02-05-2004, 01:45 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Actually, the more you mod your car, the more you rely on the stock MAF for tuning.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:29 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just gotta ask, why do so many people want to **** with a new maf? i mean seriously, the whole time i've own my car even before i knew how good the stock one was i never thought about changing it.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

JRP, when I got into modding, and knew very little, it seemed like an inexpensive and more importantly -EASY mod to do. So, after believing captions like "instant 10-15hp!" I fell sucker to a GMS. I learned quick when the tuner couldn't tune my first cam on the GMS. Stocker went back on. Some of us have to learn the hard way.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep the MAF you got. its free. it works. and u wont see the hp increase for the $.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
i just gotta ask, why do so many people want to **** with a new maf? i mean seriously, the whole time i've own my car even before i knew how good the stock one was i never thought about changing it.
SORRY we cant all be geniouses like you man? some of us like to get a lil education before we make changes i thought thats what the forum board was, for asking questions and getting opinion. not ignorant replies from people like u....... South fl SS EXACTLY what is goin on with me you hear so many claims u never know what works and what doesnt thx for your input people like you help, while help others like jrp dont.

Last edited by gs462; 02-05-2004 at 05:04 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-05-2004, 05:07 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gs462
SORRY we cant all be geniouses like you man? some of us like to get a lil education before we make changes i thought thats what the forum board was, for asking questions and getting opinion. not ignorant replies from people like u....... South fl SS EXACTLY what is goin on with me you hear so many claims u never know what works and what doesnt thx for your input people like you help, while help others like jrp dont.

Oh, I've communicated plenty with JRP, and he's one of the most helpful guys on here. He just sees certain topics repeated very often and gets short/ pissy, but if you hang around, he replies to many, many threads with helpful info.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gs462
go type in "new MAF" "aftermarket MAF" and read over my newbie mod mistakes thread and you'll find the top mistake most everyone put down is a new MAF. and ignorant, far from it, its just this type of thing comes up like every week and you could probably find your same exact question on page too. just stay here for a while and you'll now what im talking about .
Old 02-05-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
go type in "new MAF" "aftermarket MAF" and read over my newbie mod mistakes thread and you'll find the top mistake most everyone put down is a new MAF. and ignorant, far from it, its just this type of thing comes up like every week and you could probably find your same exact question on page too. just stay here for a while and you'll now what im talking about .
Then i appologize foir my comments, i am new to the ls1 world, as u can see by my sig i've been a buick guy for years but i sold my low 11 second 87 ttype and wanted a "new toy" and am lookin for opinions and help on making my car faster is all i tried a search for just plain maf but got nothing thats why i posted, as for me exhaust i did buy the flowmaster but i have since changed to the spintech muffler, as i learn the flowmaster doesnt flow well and i think its wayyy too quiet.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, youll find jrp to be one of the most helpful guys around, just be sure you search for an answer to your question before ya make a new post and people are much more willing to help ya out
Old 02-05-2004, 05:56 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I can see how "MAF" search would be difficult, as it's 3 letters and the search engine like words of 4 or more.

Did you get simply a Spintech muffler or the entire Spintech catback?
I ask, 'cause I had a Spintech sliptcase stock replacement muffler, and it flowed awful also. Documented 20hp difference on the dyno with my cutout open/closed (the difference would be less on a near stock car).
Old 02-05-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I can see how "MAF" search would be difficult, as it's 3 letters and the search engine like words of 4 or more.

Did you get simply a Spintech muffler or the entire Spintech catback?
I ask, 'cause I had a Spintech sliptcase stock replacement muffler, and it flowed awful also. Documented 20hp difference on the dyno with my cutout open/closed (the difference would be less on a near stock car).
i got the muffler they supply with their full system not the stock replacement i told the guy i wanted performance and sound how did u like the sound?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:02 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Sounded very deep at idle, screamed/metallic at revs. Kinda like a Jeckyl/Hyde. I used to get plenty of compliments. It was plenty loud.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounded very deep at idle, screamed/metallic at revs. Kinda like a Jeckyl/Hyde. I used to get plenty of compliments. It was plenty loud.
Great cuz tihs damn floamaster sounds like a stocker almost and that i hate,
Old 02-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Default Mass Air Flow Meter

Originally Posted by slow
stock maf will support 450 rwhp on your car.

all an aftermarket maf does is trick the computer into thinking the car is under less load, sees less air, = less fuel and more timing.

good for tempary power, but bad for real tuning.

Ryan
A properly calibrated mass flow meter does not necessairly fool the computer. If 2 meters are calibrated the same and one has less restriction than the other, it will produce proportionately more horsepower. Try running a race breathing thru a straw or a fire hose, which way can you run faster.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok then i know i need a TC next but what other mods shall i make? intake?
thanks,
Old 02-05-2004, 06:47 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I found this old thread of my old setup... the first half of the vid is through the Spintech muffler, the second is through the cutout... hope this helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/122490-tsp-231-237-cam-video.html