Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a tune? ls6 to fast 78 with 80mm tb

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need a tune? ls6 to fast 78 with 80mm tb

needs some opinions here....

FULL bolt on car with 243 heads and ms4 cam, 42 injectors etc....FULLY tuned as well...running a ls6 intake with a p/p stock tb on it now.....ran across a fast 78 intake with a professional products 80mm tb....

would i need to have the car re-tuned if i bolted this on, or would it be okay to leave as is?

and before this gets out of hand, i know the fast 78 is not that big of an upgrade but its a good price for the intake and tb, so im thinking why not.....little more power and better looking as well....

or should i keep the ls6 and just buy a tb for it?

thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the 78 isnt enough of a performance gain to justify it. If it was a 90 or 92 id say jump all over it.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

i understand that, performance wise......but its a GOOD deal, esp after i selll my ls6 intake and p/p tb....i wont have much in it.....and it still is a gain and looks better.....

but only if i dont have to pay to tune it in.....everything is a a direct fit correct?

but at the same time thats why i was asking if i should just keep the ls6 and bolt on my own 80mm tb or something....

just asking lol
Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

come on people, any and all opinions are welcome please....need more than the one...thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I just picked up a brand new FAST 78 and put it on my cam and headers car. The car runs fine but the tune is noticeably changed. I needed bigger injectors anyway so I'm going to have the car re tuned with the 42lb injectors.

A tune for a new intake on a cam car is a real good idea.

As far as fit and finish goes, FAST intakes are garbage. They try and make their intakes fit too many LS1 bodied cars, so they work well or fit perfect on none of them, if you catch my drift.

Mine needed way too much modification and struggle to fit in my C5, and I am a very experienced mechanic.
If I paid full price, or even near full price, (which I didnt) I would be furious at the **** poor fit.

Oh yeah - The intake makes a ton more noise and has a whistling sound to it on the transition from idle to open throttle.

Last edited by Chevy Guy; 12-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

thank you.........well i dont have a local tuner here in town, i have to drive 1.5 hours to get to mine....so im thinking the intake is out...

what about just putting a 80mm tb on the ls6 intake? any opinions on that?

thanks again
Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by m2g4b
thank you.........well i dont have a local tuner here in town, i have to drive 1.5 hours to get to mine....so im thinking the intake is out...

what about just putting a 80mm tb on the ls6 intake? any opinions on that?

thanks again
I don't have any first hand experience with just doing a TB but I don't think there is much benefit to it.

You will likely still be able to drive the car w/ the FAST intake on it, mine drives fine but I do notice a difference in the tune before and after.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

well mine already has 42 injectors and is tuned for the cam and all that, so do you think it will hurt the tune? i mean you say you notice a difference, good or bad, less response what? im leaning to just holding out for awhile, lol...
Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by m2g4b
well mine already has 42 injectors and is tuned for the cam and all that, so do you think it will hurt the tune? i mean you say you notice a difference, good or bad, less response what? im leaning to just holding out for awhile, lol...
The car runs fine, I notice the idle is just a bit more erratic, it doesn't hunt or surge but doesn't settle as well. The car idles a little more smooth like its a bit lean. It will stall easier if I let it bog a bit with my foot off the gas, like when I'm backing into the garage.

With all that said - you cant go wrong waiting either. I like I said, Once it's on its on and it runs OK but I'm not happy with the FAST fitment and mods needed at all. This isn't a plug and play piece, for the money these things cost they should be.

Last edited by Chevy Guy; 12-03-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

I put an 85mm throttle body on my car with an ls6 intake. My car is cam only with boltons. I saw a noticeable difference in throttle response and slight increase in acceleration. It didn't seem to affect my tune other than I had to reset the computer and let it relearn the idle.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CRAZZ28
IMO the 78 isnt enough of a performance gain to justify it. If it was a 90 or 92 id say jump all over it.
Ditto. I MAY just have a 78mm SLP P+P'd Stock TB for sale soon... Gotta tear the caar apart soon, but it's getting really effin cold in the garage.