Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

mosoon 24 pin /12 pin wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mosoon 24 pin /12 pin wiring

I picked up a Monsoon cd stereo to replace the stock Delco in my 84 Fiero. I had a decent Pioneer that got swiped and I'm back to the "stock" not worth stealing look. I got send here from Pennock's because you guys seem to know Monsoon radios.

The new unit (Monsoon) has a main 24 pin connector and a 12 pin connector. I scrounged around my favorite wrecker for the harness to fit the unit, but now I'm stuck on the wiring or more correctly the pin outs. I can't remember what car I took the harness from (I took 3 that might fit just in case). A diag of the pin outs would be great and the reasons for the below questions

Any clues as to why in the 24 pin harness there are;
2 orange - 1 14g - 1 18g
2 black - 1 14g - 1 18g
1white
1 grey (lites right?)
1 pink
1 blue
These are over and above the 4 pair twisted speaker wires

Any clues as to why in the 12 pin harness there are;
1 green white stripe
1 black white stripe
both these wires are shielded

Thanks for any help
Pete
Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I think you must have bought a Monsoon from a later model vehicle that includes many of the BCM functions in the head unit. 88-02 Monsoon systems have a 20 pin connector (actually, 20 pins used in a 21-pin connector) for the head unit itself and a 9-pin connector for the optional remote CD changer. The pinout listing and diagram are in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.

Unfortunately, those later model HUs had different anti-theft circuitry that ties them to the original vehicle (via the PCM) and makes them impossible to use in another vehicle.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon identified

I did some searching on this unit and using the part # on the tag, I found that it's from a 2001 Grand Am.

I still need to identify the pinouts.

Pete

Quick Reply: mosoon 24 pin /12 pin wiring