Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CDT or Alpine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDT or Alpine?

I'm not an audio person at all but ido know I want a nice sounding car. I seen a lot of people go with CDT. The reason I said or alpine is because I already have a set of 6.5 type r coaxles. I want to update the doors and sail panels but get rid of the hatch since I can't figure out how to hook up all 6 speakers to my alpine HU. How are the cdt's compared to the alpine R's? I noticed that keeaudio has a holiday deal on components and coaxials
Old 12-04-2010, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CDTs, depending on the model, but most of them, are simply a better speaker in as far as I can tell, every way. With that said, if I already had the TypeRs I'd leave it at that and call it a day. The TypeRs are fine speakers and honestly, unless you have gone overboard with sound deadening, sound tuning, and anything else you can do to isolate the car from the outside world, you very likely will not notice a difference AT ALL.

BTW, I have CDTs in the front and a TypeR sub, so there isn't much bias in my response! If you want to put the money to better use, get going on sound deadening instead. You will notice a much bigger difference.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will probably go with the cdt just wanted to know what sounds better between the two. The type r's came out of my 72 challenger for now because I blew the cheapos in my ta. I will definitely be sound deadening it when I replace the carpet.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:59 AM
9 Second Club

Sound deadening + the CDTs, PERFECT!
Old 12-05-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was looking at the cdt com-626 and the ***-622
Old 12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
9 Second Club

As much as I admire Kee, and I can assure I have come to admire him through PMs, I wouldn't go with either one of those. If you look at any serious setup in a 2 seat car (lets not pretend we have adults in our rear seats!), you will learn that you do not need and moreover want to not have the rear speakers installed. If you start hanging out on real car audio forums (no offense to tech or the sponsors in this section, but it is a little slow in this section), you will find that a 2.1 system is ideal. Separate tweeters like the Trans Am are actually coveted there, its kinda nice.
I would spend that money on an exceptional pair of front speakers. Shoot me a PM if you want some info on what I would recommend in that price range. It will sound a ton better, and if you decide you want the rear fill (you don't), use the alpines.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree when it comes to rear fill. I generally prefer a 2.1 system but sometimes will put a midbass tuned slightly higher then the sub as a kind of buffer between the front and rear. I do not like putting anything with highs behind me though.
The COM set are nice but they are entry level from CDT which is also to say much better then alot of entry level speakers. These are excellent for a budget oriented component system.
What type of system are you putting together and what type of budget? I would be happy to help in any way I can.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not looking for anything over the top, just a nice clean sound. I havnt really thought about budget wise.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I agree when it comes to rear fill. I generally prefer a 2.1 system but sometimes will put a midbass tuned slightly higher then the sub as a kind of buffer between the front and rear. I do not like putting anything with highs behind me though.
The COM set are nice but they are entry level from CDT which is also to say much better then alot of entry level speakers. These are excellent for a budget oriented component system.
What type of system are you putting together and what type of budget? I would be happy to help in any way I can.
See, there he is: on the weekend, in the evening. Great sponsor.

Quick Reply: CDT or Alpine?