Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

anyone have remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have remote start?

i've been thinking about getting a remote start kit for my car. i understand it's a little more complicated with an m6 car but has anyone done this to their car? i like to let my car warm up a little before i drive it, and it'd be nice to have my heater going before i get in during the winter. thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious how this works on an m6 car.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a viper alarm with remote start. i copied the instructions from the manual.

If the vehicle has manual transmission the proper steps must be followed before
leaving the parked vehicle or the remote start feature is disabled.
Make sure the doors on the vehicle are closed.
Put the transmission in neutral.
Press on the brake in the vehicle.
Apply the emergency brake.
Release the brake.
Within 15 seconds activate the remote start from the remote.
The parking lights will flash confirming that the remote start is active.
Turn off the ignition (the car should stay running when key is turned off).
Exit the vehicle.
Arm the alarm (the vehicle should shut off when arming the system).
Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

how hard was that viper to install? can you install just the remote start and not the alarm?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its very easy to get these to work on manuals. You simply bypass the clutch safety switch located on the top of the clutch pedal. HOWEVER, when doing this, the car will be able to start in gear. All operators of the car should be aware of this or the remote starting feature should be disabled by placing the unit in valet mode. You must always leave the car in neutral bc sometimes buttons accidentally get pressed in your pocket or by kids etc. Your car will lurch forward if started in gear with no one in the car. Thats how I have always done them with not one incident relating to the remote start bc of the precautions taken.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

One good safety measure is to connect the unit's ground to the parking brake switch. That way it won't even attempt to start the car unless the parking brake is engaged. The starter is nowhere near strong enough to overcome a properly adjusted parking brake. If you did accidentally try to remote start with the car in gear and the brake engaged, the car will shake a bit but not move anywhere. The remote starter will give up if the engine isn't running after a few seconds (either by checking the tachometer signal or the system voltage depending on model). I've mistakenly hit the remote start with the car in gear a number of times but never had a problem. Believe me, it will not go chasing little old ladies across the parking lot.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm the only one that drives my car 99% of the time and i always leave it in neutral with the parking brake on so i'm not worried about any safety features. i'd just like a simple remote start system, no alarm or anything like that. wiring the ground through the parking brake is a good idea though