Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between ecu and pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between ecu and pcm?

This seems like a pretty basic question. I searched a little and couldn't find what I was looking for.

What is the difference between a PCM and ECU?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Also, is it hard to find an ecu by itself for a certain year?

Last edited by Camaro_SLP; 02-05-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Teching In

PCM- Power Control Module, ECU-Engine Control Unit In a non technical sense there pretty much the same thing except for some minor differences in the systems.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Don't forget ECM - same thing - computer
Old 02-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Is there any way to tell the mileage on an engine without the ecu and gauge cluster? I'm buying an engine, and the guy says it has 35,000 miles..but he also said he sold the ecu seperately. I don't want to get dicked over when dealing with this kind of money. So there's basically no way to tell how many miles the engine has now.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Can you get the VIN of the car it came from and run a CARFAX? It might not tell the whole truth, but it should show some history.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro_SLP
Is there any way to tell the mileage on an engine without the ecu and gauge cluster? I'm buying an engine, and the guy says it has 35,000 miles..but he also said he sold the ecu seperately. I don't want to get dicked over when dealing with this kind of money. So there's basically no way to tell how many miles the engine has now.

What year is it? PCM is Powertrain Control Module. Depending on what year it is may require a new/reman PCM that needs to be flashed before you install it. You will need the VIN for the flash. Most dealers can do this for about 1 hour labor. Down side is that most are set up to do it in the car. Standard Ignition Products does have a software program that will do the computer they are selling to parts warehouses to do this. You will need the VIN either way. Reman computers are salty especially if you don't have old/core unit to turn in. You're looking at about $500.00 plus cost of programming/flash.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Launching!

It's a 2000 engine.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the LS1 PCM does not store the milage in it.

you don't need a legit vin match to run a LS1 motor.

the only thing you need is a VATS bypass, you can buy a box for $50 on ebay, or turn it off with edit,ect.

The BCM has the milage stored in it, but if it is a legit motor, the guy will have some documentation on the milage, when it was pulled out. ie, salvage title, ect.

Ryan.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99RedRagSS
What year is it? PCM is Powertrain Control Module. Depending on what year it is may require a new/reman PCM that needs to be flashed before you install it. You will need the VIN for the flash. Most dealers can do this for about 1 hour labor. Down side is that most are set up to do it in the car. Standard Ignition Products does have a software program that will do the computer they are selling to parts warehouses to do this. You will need the VIN either way. Reman computers are salty especially if you don't have old/core unit to turn in. You're looking at about $500.00 plus cost of programming/flash.
used 99+ computer sell for about 150 on this forum, you can send it to speartech, have it programmed (like 300 approx, call them), and be less than 500 last time i check the price.

any 99+ computer will work on any 99+ ls1 motor wiring harness

the 98's need 98 wiring harnesses and 98 computers.

People are always parting out cars here, so they are not hard to find.

If your needing a 98 computer programmed for vats bypass, contact me

Ryan.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slow
used 99+ computer sell for about 150 on this forum, you can send it to speartech, have it programmed (like 300 approx, call them), and be less than 500 last time i check the price.
The computer can't just be flashed from a dealer? It will have to be sent in to get reprogrammed?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

the dealer does not have the ability to remove VATS (vehicle anti theft system) with their programmer.

if you just need a reflash, the dealer can do it, to a stock computer specs.

speartech can do it, they're a sponsor, and they sell computers with the necessary modifications for conversions, (which sounds like what you want to do)

Or you can buy your own tuning software, and do it yourself. there is a new program coming out that you might want to either buy, or find somebody local who has it, and throw them a few $ to turn the stuff off for you.

List what your trying to acomplish, and i can help you find the best way i know of, to acomplish it.

Ryan
Old 02-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Launching!

I'm going to be doing an engine swap.

I bought a 2000 LS1 engine with T56 6-speed transmission, all accessories ete. etc. He has the wiring harness, but he does not have the ecu. I just talked to him over the phone 2 minutes ago. He said it came from a Camaro SS that got hit in the back hard. He has no documentation on mileage,, He said everything runs..no knocks. I have to make a decision if I want to go through with the sale..He said it has 35,000 miles on it..and all he can give me is his 'word'. Doesn't have the gauge cluster. He has pretty much Everything needed for the swap though..which is one of the reasons I'm still even considering it....raditor, fans, throttle body, intake, wiring harness, complete t56 trans, motor, motor mounts, cross-member, driveshaft, fuel rails, fuel lines, spark plugs, wires, all belt driven accessories, alternator, all a/c system..exhaust manifolds..both cats..

So my problem is with the ecu. I'll need to buy one, and get it programmed for my car. One of my biggest concerns if finding out if there's anyway to tell how many miles this engine has..
Old 02-06-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

try the carfax report, if he can give you the vin.

The BCM will have the milage, but i don't think that any dealers can read the bcm without the vehicle present.

The milage does sound legit, if he was claiming 3500 or 35 miles, i would question it, but 35000 for a 4 year old car, is in the right ballpark, so he won't really get much by lying to you.

I wish there was a way to know for sure, but other than service records from GM dealers when the car was serviced with milage recorded, and carfax/title information, there is not much proof of the milage of the motor.

For the ECM, just put a "parts wanted" ad for a 99-00 T56 PCM, and you will be fine. The motor will run, with any vin in the computer. The only programming needed will be for Vats so the computer will start ($50 ebay box to bypass that) , and emmisions equipment if you choose to remove that stuff. and not get a ses light.

Sorry i could not help on the milage.

Ryan
Old 02-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all your suggestions and replies.

What's that "$50 ebay box" that will eliminate VATS you mentioned?

And do you know if I would be able to fit a 2000 Gauge cluster into a pre 97 Camaro? My mechanic mentioned to me that it wouldn't fit for some reason. And will all the gauges in the cluster work after the swap? Oil, gas, speedo, tach, temeperature? Or will I need to buy seperate gauges..such as autometer.?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

the 93-96 gauge cluster is different shape than the newer ones.

Makes for a good time to put in a 97+ Camaro dash, or a 93+ firebird dash and 97+ console.

What year car are you installing the ls1 into?

Ryan
Old 02-06-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

here is one, i was wrong on the price,.. but it now for $25

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2458472413
Old 02-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Launching!

It will be going into a 94.

I already have the 93-95 style LT1 150 speedo cluster in my car. Would that give accurate anything from a 99+ ecu signal?

I didn't know about that VATS by-pass module. Very cool. Do you know of anyone that has acutally used one before?
Old 02-06-2004, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow

any 99+ computer will work on any 99+ ls1 motor wiring harness

the 98's need 98 wiring harnesses and 98 computers.

People are always parting out cars here, so they are not hard to find.

If your needing a 98 computer programmed for vats bypass, contact me

Ryan.

Ryan,

Thanks for the info, I did not know about Speartech since that would actually be better than stock flash. Cost is still about the same either way.

Brian
Old 02-07-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99RedRagSS
Ryan,

Thanks for the info, I did not know about Speartech since that would actually be better than stock flash. Cost is still about the same either way.

Brian
I know they can turn off all the needed codes for conversions, and such. I have never contacted them about power tuning. Im not sure if they offer it or not.

Post this question in conversions and hybrids, for a second opinion, but as far as i know, if you put a 99-00 M6 computer into the wiring harness, no flash is necessary on the computer. The vats is taken care of by the vats bypass module, as all it does is provide a 5volt 50hz square wave to the ECM, pretending it is the BCM providing a "matching key" output.

Ryan
Old 02-07-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

vats may be a good idea to have tuned out. It is VERY possible for your "resistor" (wanna spend .10 cents and bypass your VATS?) its just a resistor. Try it. bust out the multimeter and compare you and your friends car.

If you can't figure out how to "hotwire" a resistor in place..

Pretty **** poor form of an immobilizer imo.

Quick Reply: Difference between ecu and pcm?