Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LT1 Front Bumper Full Center Bodyline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Front Bumper Full Center Bodyline?

Basically the idea is to make the LT1 front bumper to have a centerline that extends all the way to the top like the LS1 front bumper and doesn't stop at the emblem. The purpose of this is to have more flow with the hood to bumper (the cowl hood I have has a centerline in it). On the LT1, its not totally flat, it has a hump but is smooth so you can sometimes see it slightly from the side. But the Ls1 front has a more pronounced line all the way through.

For reference

vs.

Mcnord's car demonstrates this well:

my car (it's mostly in primer now)

This could be achieved fairly easily by taking tape to either side of the centerline and sanding with 80 grit to create the line. But would it look good on the LT1? That's the question.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
But would it look good on the LT1? That's the question.
the question is, why wouldn't it?

to be honest, i've never noticed that minor difference
Old 12-05-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ What he said. I don't really look for the nose emblem but it would be one of the small things that people would over look untill they noticed it.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would look good but I don't think your meathod is not going to work unless you are adding material to sand down first. Otherwise you will end up with 2 low spots along the top of the nose aginst the leading edge of the hood.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I was thinking of adding a skim coat of dolphin glaze. I tried it a little bit already just with sanding and it worked well. Unfortunately I didn't think of this until after I pulled the bumper off and put an aftermarket one on there that I won't be using. So I can't line it up as well as I would have liked. It was a real pain, I'm not going to take that bumper off again just for that, I'll have to wait until I'm close to paint
Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

I think it would take more than what your expecting. your working with plastic, not metal or such. your going to need to be damn near perfect to pull it off...

Its YOUR time, YOUR money, and YOUR car. If you ask me, i wouldnt. but to each his own.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

never even noticed, but i think itd help a lot, especially if it matches your hood
Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would look good IF the workmanship was spot on... not saying yours wouldn't be....
Old 12-05-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

The way the bumper is, It likely can't be done unless the emblem is shaved. I kind of wanted to keep the emblem. And you're right, after stepping back for a few hours I took another look and it's more work than it originally seemed. I would have to take off material and put some back on, without taking too much off. I'm not a body man, I do paint and prep, but I've actually done a lot of hard jobs that turned out really nice, but they were all metal. I'm on the fence on this one now. Sorry for the exploratory thread, but you guys helped me figure some of it out.

Quick Reply: LT1 Front Bumper Full Center Bodyline?