Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird Delco display and strange black box? WITH PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Delco display and strange black box? WITH PICTURES

I just picked up a Delco tape deck from a 95 Firebird for about 20 bucks so I could replace my Monsoon CD player in my 98 TA. Now I can finally hook up my mp3 player.

While I was pulling everything out, I noticed a black box connected to the wiring harness that I'd never noticed on my other two 98 Trans Ams. What is this thing? It has two RCA connectors that disappear under the carpet, so I assume it goes to the Monsoon amp but I don't know.

Weird Delco display and strange black box? WITH PICTURES-rpqkzl.jpg

Second, this tape deck has greenish bands on the top and bottom of the display. Shouldn't the whole thing be red? I've never seen what pre-Monsoon systems look like, so maybe this normal, but it sort of bothers me. Can I fix this or is this how the unit actually looks?

Weird Delco display and strange black box? WITH PICTURES-tcnehl.jpg

Last edited by Gallstaff; 12-06-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

That might be an AUX input adapter or a line-level to RCA adapter. Probably the latter after seeing those crimp connectors. That is not stock. Follow those RCA cables. The stock Monsoon doesn't use RCA cables. It uses the line-level speaker outputs from the stock headunit. This car probably had an amp and sub at some point.

Quick Reply: Weird Delco display and strange black box? WITH PICTURES