Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

NEED HELP ASAP!! LS7 Clutch now it wont shift!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Angry NEED HELP ASAP!! LS7 Clutch now it wont shift!!

Ok guys, i need help fast as this is our only car right now. What should have been an easy clutch swap has turned into a complete nightmare!

I just installed an LS7 Clutch w/Aluminum flywheel into my wife's 00 WS.6, not my first time installing a clutch in an F-body, but this is by far the worst one yet!

Got it installed last night, didnt have my mity vac, so i was gonna bleed it the hard way, ended up dropping a socket into the bell

Tore it back down to get the socket, put it back together and old slave starts leaking.

Tear it down AGAIN, replaced slave with brand new slave, reassambled. Used the vac to completely bleed the system, pedal feels decent, but i dont know exactly what the LS7 is supposed to feel like.

Now it wont go into any gear while running. I started it up on stands, and it would shift but didnt appear to disengage all the way. Put it on the ground and it wont go into geat at all while running.

Did i torque something wrong? I used ARP bots for the flywheel and PP. Could that prevent me from going into gear?

PLEASE HELP!!
Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can assure you that its not the bolt torque. The crappy self-adjusters on the pressure plate may be out of whack. This will cause symptoms justl ike youre describing. The LS7 pressure plate seems to be really sensitive to this. I had the same problem with one and just got another new LS7 kit and replaced it, then it worked fine.
Nobody seems to realize that the LS7 clutch is designed to work with an LS7 slave. So that is why I think it is so hit/miss with this clutch. The installed height is lower than the LS6 or any aftermarket clutch, so you'll need to space out the LS1/6 slave accordingly.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 things which will help reduce possible issue for 90% of do-it-yourselfers.

1. install a remote bleeder. (this is a no-brainer. you saved hundreds of dollars doing it yourself, treat yourself to this so you can bleed like a gentleman)
2. mity-vac (as you know.) i can't get 70% of the pedal doing it the old fashioned way compared to the mityvac
3. install a spacer behind the slave. I install a spacer and didn't get the "low pedal" waiting for the PP to adjust.

When doing a LS7 clutch install you must make sure the green painted line across the adjuster springs are aligned. This ensures they haven't moved during handling.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now is a shim the only way or would the Tick Master solve my problem?