Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECT problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT problem

I Installed a new ECT sensor on my camaro beacuse my guage was not reading a temp. The actual guage its sellf works beacuse when i turn the car on and off it moves. But when the car is running the guage will not work. I looked on all data and ran through all the test they asked me to. When i use the snap on modis and jump the wires the temp goes from -38 to 238 like its suspose to. So the wiring is good and the the cars computer is reading it. So the wiring and the computer and the sensor are not bad. My buddy has the same year camaro as me i took his ECT sensor out and put it in my car and it still didnt work. I also put mine on his and it did work. So it something to do with my car. The wiring is good the sensor is good and and Cars ECU is good. Has anyone else had this proble or know what is wrong?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen flaky connectors. Which would be a difference
between a hand-applied stimulus and the real hookup.
Open circuit reads cold.

Then there's the possibility that it's the gauge, not the
sensor. Or the PCM - gauge wiring. What does the scan
tool report for ECT? Real or bogus?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Teching In

the scan tool always reads -38 until ju jump the wire and then it reads 238. but the wiring to the pcm is good. i checked all of that. i went through every step in ALLDATA. its no the sensor beacuse i took one off my buddy car that worked and it didnt make a difference. The actual computer doesnt get a reading. the wiring is all goo the guage works. Im lost. i dont know what the hell is going on with it
Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where are you "jumping" the wire? If you take a "junk"
sensor and solder a wire across the terminals right by
the body, and plug it into the connector, what happens?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Teching In

ya i jumped the wires. i have a 3 prong sensor. 1 wire goes to the computer 1 to the guage and the other to ground
Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What temp is the engine at when warmed up? If your t-stat is stuck open it may never get hot enough for the gauge to move much at all.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98z28darkhell
the scan tool always reads -38 until ju jump the wire and then it reads 238. but the wiring to the pcm is good. i checked all of that. i went through every step in ALLDATA. its no the sensor beacuse i took one off my buddy car that worked and it didnt make a difference. The actual computer doesnt get a reading. the wiring is all goo the guage works. Im lost. i dont know what the hell is going on with it
Did you check the ground going to the pcm? I had the same problem on my t/a. ecu was reading -38 but the gauge was functioning properly. Just pull the pcm plugs and ohm test the ground and signal wire from the pcm plug to the sensor plug. that way you eliminate either connector from being the culprit too.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a dirty connector in mine, plus no one has the damn 3 wire sensors in stock, so I ended up fixing it.
My car had been reading -38 at the pcm, but the gauge on the dash worked. guy I got the car from f'd up the sensor when he did the headers