Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Which speakers to use for fill, rear sail panels

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which speakers to use for fill, rear sail panels

Currently I've got a 10" Alpine type R, MRP-500 amp, 6.5" Type R speakers in front, and a Alpine MRP-F300 speaker amp I'll be using on all 4 speakers. If I had the money I would get another set of Type R's for the sail panels, but I have 2 sets of 6.5" sitting in my closet and figured I would just use those. The speaker amp is rated 50w RMS @ 4 ohm, 75w RMS @ 2 ohm.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with either set of these speakers? Both have similar reviews, and both are on the cheaper end, but I figure with the sub and type r's in the front, as long as the rear speakers put out decently clear sound, I'll be happy.

The first set I've got are Kenwood KFC-1682ie 40w RMS

And the other set is Pioneer TS-A1680R 50w RMS

Anyone ever use these? Which ones do you think I should go with for the best sound? Mainly looking for awesome mids + treble since I have a sub.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

Bump.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just have a good front stage and forget rear fill. Why do you want mid and treble behind you?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Banned

Well I don't know, won't it sound weird with only 2 speakers in front, and a little 10" sub in back with no other speakers?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Young camaro
Well I don't know, won't it sound weird with only 2 speakers in front, and a little 10" sub in back with no other speakers?
Thats how most "audiophiles" and SQ people enjoy their music (including me).

I have some powerful front components up front (with 700 watts RMS total to the pair of speakers up front) and nothing in the rear. Plus a subwoofer in the back. Sounds great.

Let me ask this: When you go to a concert, do you look at the stage or do you turn your back to the stage?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:14 AM
Banned

Yeah that's true lol... but I have this super nice new Alpine 4 channel amp
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

So-called "audiophiles" will often use the concert argument to support their idea that you need a front sound stage. And that's fine if that's what you like. But the majority of people have gotten used to surround sound since the '70s and like having sound all around them. My favorite listening environment is a pair of high quality headphones (not in the car) so obviously a front sound stage is not important to me.

It's your car and your music so choose what you think sounds best. You can get some very good advice here but in the end it's you that has to be happy with the setup. It's easy enough to try the front sound stage setup - just disconnect rear speakers or turn your fader all the way forward (I know it's not as good as a system designed for front only but it will give you the general idea).

Now, even with surround sound, you don't want too much high frequency sound from behind because it will start to sound like when cars used to have speakers only on the rear parcel shelf. I prefer a balance that mimics headphones - the sound seems to be centered in your head with any obvious directional (treble) frequencies coming from in front.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

So if I DID run all 4 speakers, what could I do to keep most of the sound coming from the front? I don't like using the fader on the deck because to me, it changes the way the speakers sound and seems like it restricts / adds power.

Could I do something on the amp to power the fronts more, or to change the sound of the rears?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Young camaro
Yeah that's true lol... but I have this super nice new Alpine 4 channel amp
Is your amp bridgeable?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

I believe so. Sorry I'm kind of a noob when it comes to audio