Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 67 Camaro Build/Photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My 67 Camaro Build/ NEW PHOTOS!-POST#170 12/30/12!

UPDATE VIDEO!..She starts after 8 years of the project. It happened on 1/4/11. We're running rich through open headers, and need a tune.
I later realized that the driver's coil harness had been reversed. After turning it around, the LS1 ran 'like a top'!
Thanks to my wife for video editing.

Our Camaro is almost there.
The idea for this project was furthered in 2003 when my co-worker Ed handed me this...
Notice the illustration on the package. It looks more like a Celica, or maybe a 350Z, from which, ironically, came the idea for the paint.

The plan was to start with a car which would become completely remodeled. You could purchase one 25-30k, but it would have been someone else's idea. Following this line of thinking, numbers matching was not important.
Start with a 67RS car with plenty 'o' rust.
This is a 327/4sp Muncie, manufactured in 9/67 & bought in 12/67. It came from the factory in white, and had a 2.73 non-posi 10 bolt. The latest owner added Holley Commander fuel injection, power brakes & steering, & Hookers. When I bought it in '06, it came with a 350. Other than the RS, originally there were no options. It had manual/drum brakes, & steering.
The LS1 arrived on a pallet with the A4, but after driving the 350/4 speed for awhile, I was hooked on the manual. The A4 was then sold.

Spring 2008, I removed driveline and innards. The car is picked up for bodywork. I've built a garage and done other projects, but without the tools & experience, metalwork is out of my skill range.

The restoral wasn't a 100% job, however, the frame and body were given a complete going over. The rear fenders, floor & trunk pans were replaced, and there was a large rust area just above the driver's side windshield.

Epoxy primer came next

Then primered

Setup for painting with bumblebee

We decided to spray in Nissan Daytona Blue Met Pearl. Under indirect light, this paint appears quite purple. I'm not big on the purple hue, so we had a sprayout done with half the norm amount of red. This was more to our liking. The bumblebee was sprayed in Toyota White Met Pearl. It came out very nice, we think.
As a comparison, just below the newly painted car is the 'normal' version of the paint as seen at night on a 350Z. The altered version on the Camaro has just as much depth, but with a lighter tone.

The engine is a 98 LS1 with 31k which arrived on a palette in winter of '03. Several of the valves were rusty/pitted and needed replacing. I reworked it per the following...TR224/561, LS6 int & valley, port/polish TB, Yellas, CAI, March, JWIS. The heads were home-ported, chambers smoothed to a mirror finish. A valvejob was done.
My brothers made this project a family affair and helped to get the driveline installed.
Even though the engine and tranny went in in one fell swoop with the front clip on, hardly a scratch did we inflict!!

There was alot of flash within the runners & chambers....just as much as you see below next to the intake runners. All of it was removed. The areas behind the valves were opened up, as well.

"Original" style Yella roller rockers with the wide shoulders were ordered for the 98 LS1 with perimeter style valvecovers. Shortly after receiving them, I saw the photo below, which told me that without grinding the valvecovers, the Yellas would not fit. Any ad or endorsement had specifically said, "FITS 1998-2002 LS1". Shortly thereafter, Yella came out with a 'new' slimmer version that not only fit, but had less mass. Happy endings!

A Keisler Tremec 5 sp .063 OD will back up the power.

The Moser 9in w/ TrueTrac 3.70 & Ford Explorer disc brakes.

Quiet Ride was installed in the trunk & cabin.
The Quiet Ride was later removed from the cabin, because it is lightweight, and did nothing to contain a heavy-duty vibration of the metal in the floorpan.
Eastwood butyl style sound damping material replaced the QR. The heavy adhesive on its' bottom served to eliminate the vibration.

Classic Industries offers Chevy-type engine displacement numbers bordered in chrome.

The valvecovers and TB pieces have been polished to a mirror shine.

ECM in glovebox. John @ SPEARTECH reworked the harness which left enough cable for this mount. VATS gen mounted on top.

From the dollar store and with a bracket 'appropriated' from my wife's bicycle, we have the radiator overflow container.

Engine bay almost complete! CAI from Speed Inc.

Be-Cool w/stock fans, riveted together w/aluminum channel.

This project is dedicated to my family, who supported me throughout, in many ways...and to my friend, Kevin.

Last edited by gMAG; 01-14-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice build
Old 12-08-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice ride!! What else has been done,
Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Steve68
Nice ride!! What else has been done,
Steve, I'm not sure which part of the build your question is directed to.
At this moment, I'm trying to figure out why it won't start. There's a thread to this effect somewhere below.
The mods are listed just below in sig. I'm waiting on a set of TA's, and the exhaust still needs to be mounted. Also, there is a set of 67 "disc brake" style hubcaps waiting.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was just wondering how far you were going with the build, track car, cruiser, or just a motor swap, maybe a P/T style with fully updated suspension, brakes, etc,

I have a thread on here with pics of parts I've installed and then removed/sold off,
Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Steve68
I was just wondering how far you were going with the build, track car, cruiser, or just a motor swap, maybe a P/T style with fully updated suspension, brakes, etc,

I have a thread on here with pics of parts I've installed and then removed/sold off,
This vehicle will be a cruiser with just enough power to accommodate my slowing reflexes ...maybe 400.
I wish I had a set of those Dart heads which are on your engine, Steve! The exhaust ports look very large compared to the stock ones on mine. Getting a set of Darts would be ideal. That will be somewhere down the road.
The suspension will remain stock, although the springs are 'lowering' and there are poly bushings. The alledged 'lowering' springs are not that at all.
My car is much higher than the old worn-out suspension. The rear mono-leafs were so worn, that they had an inverted bend to them. All of this still needs to be tweaked.
The brakes up front had previously been updated (not even sure what they are), and the rears are new Explorer discs which I got a great deal on.
In the future, a turbo might be happening/I have a set of 42lb ers in reserve...got to plant the seed with my Honey!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good, I'm going for a clone to a Steilow build for mine, He's a Camaro builder on the P/T Lat G style of cars,

If I get a choice, I'd be running a LS7 or a stroker, using 317 heads,
Old 12-08-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cencalrx7
very nice build
thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great! Thats rs/ss though correct?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stevied916
looks great! Thats rs/ss though correct?
Thanks. It's only an RS. At the time the car was bought, those additional 2 letters pushed the budget beyond my reach.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

great looking car.. i like the blue on the intake manifold and the coil packs..
Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Tuesday, after receiving some replacement injectors, then having them all flow-matched, the engine started for the first time since 2000, or so.
Even though the ECM is relearning, the engine still runs a bit rough, maybe bec of the TR cam. When the car goes back for final prep, it'll be put on a DynoJet for a tune.
There's a leak at the high press hose as the fitting meets the steering box and the cooling system is stubborn-still has some trapped air I think because the thermostat won't open.

Last edited by gMAG; 08-28-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job.. Won't be long before your back on the road... post some more pictures..
Old 01-06-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't stop looking at that color. What radiator hoses did you use?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow,awsome car!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
I can't stop looking at that color. What radiator hoses did you use?
For application "1998-00" (LS1), Classic Industries listed these..Goodyear MH585/upper (cut to fit) & MH1235/lower (cut to fit). When the hoses arrived, I then realized that the ports on the BeCool "exact fit" radiator were larger than the stock LS1 rad, which made these hoses unusable. They would have fit perfectly on the stock rad though! I'll give you a deal if you're looking for these hoses.
A 2 hour foray @ PepBoys led me to these...upper (E)71911 & lower (D)71426CS.
No matter which of the two upper hoses were used, there was a little bending involved to make them fit, and I thought that the hose might suck closed at the bends. Another trip to Advance Auto for a hose containing a long spring. You can buy the cheapest one...the idea being that the spring is removed from THAT hose, then cut in two sections, then each section of spring worked into each bend in your new upper hose. This worked well.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the cooling system is still being stuburn, remove the top radiator from the radiator and fill the engine with coolant through it. That will fix the problem.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If the cooling system is still being stuburn, remove the top radiator from the radiator and fill the engine with coolant through it. That will fix the problem.
thanks. I installed a steam port hose from the driver's head to the top of the waterpump. It might be easy for me to pinch the hose with a clamp, then remove it at the waterpump and then wait for air to be displaced. Could be a little less messy than the rad hose.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds and looks great, congrats on getting it running, post more pics,
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Wow.. Nice work..

Reminds me of my father's 68 RS/SS he had back in the day.

Quick Reply: My 67 Camaro Build/Photos