4G/LTE Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4G/LTE Thread

Anyone actually on a true 4g service? I think sprint is the only active cell phone provider with 4g. Ive seen commercials for t-mobile but i dont think it's live in Dallas, verizon is next to go live i think. Ive heard nothing but bad news about clear. ATT better launch there 4g network soon or it will be losing alot of customers when the iphone hits verizon.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that Sprint was the only provider with 4g at the time but now i don't know...only draw back with 4g is that it isn't everywhere...luckily its here in austin and I use it quite regularly...

A big plus that some other providers don't have is the unlimited internet(not sure on what that actually call it)
Old 12-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Launching!

seriously...verizon won't have iphone for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by khaos288
I dont see why not? Are there reports saying otherwise? I mean they have the maxipad on there service now.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
I dont see why not? Are there reports saying otherwise? I mean they have the maxipad on there service now.
They have to create an Iphone that will work with Verizons network, which means alottttttt of money =)
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

For starters, T-mobile, Sprint, and Verizon, has "4G". AT&T is the only one that doesn't have anything. T-mobile's 4G has the largest network covering 200 million people by the end of this year with a theoretical speed of 21 MPBS this year (42 MBPS next year), Sprint has fallen behind and doesn't have a large or fast network which claim is 5-7 MBPS, Verizon LTE is a strong network but still way too small and they don't have an LTE phone yet and they claim 6-9 MBPS on the web connect. Also T-Mobile doesn't and Verizon (for now) do not charge extra for 4G. Sprint charges $10.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

yeah i heard apple is making a cdma iphone for sprint instead
Old 12-10-2010, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

Seriously doubt sprint will get it. There is talk about CDMA Iphones and most likely will be to Verizon. Last I heard there was an issue with Verizon who want to put their branding on the Iphone and Apple is like hell no. Verizon has twice the customer base than sprint including more business customers. Verizon would be the more logical business move.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Teching In

LTE launched on the 6th of December. It's live dood, there just isn't a phone out yet so if you want to experience 4G you need an air card. It's pretty sweet when I was testing it in November (I work in the transport group) I was getting up to 20Mbits/5Mbits speeds, but they are only guaranteeing up to 12Mbits/2Mbits I think.

The phones will launch to public in January and you will be able to purchase whichever phone they decide to launch first on LTE. Supposedly...it's supposed to be the first 4G capable iPhone, which is why you haven't seen anymore iPhone commercials for AT&T recently. Jobs was pretty pissed about AT&T claiming the phone was the problem with all the service issues.

However, that is all rumor so who knows it might be another google/android based phone. But you can count on getting a 4G VZW phone in January.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
For starters, T-mobile, Sprint, and Verizon, has "4G". AT&T is the only one that doesn't have anything. T-mobile's 4G has the largest network covering 200 million people by the end of this year with a theoretical speed of 21 MPBS this year (42 MBPS next year), Sprint has fallen behind and doesn't have a large or fast network which claim is 5-7 MBPS, Verizon LTE is a strong network but still way too small and they don't have an LTE phone yet and they claim 6-9 MBPS on the web connect. Also T-Mobile doesn't and Verizon (for now) do not charge extra for 4G. Sprint charges $10.

Actually, VZW is claiming up to 12, I was testing it in November and I was actually getting 20/5 so that is a bit of a modest claim by VZW. Also, T-mobile doesn't appear to have much of a larger 4G footprint than VZW either. I see about 3 cities T-Mobile has coverage that VZW LTE does not.

And also...how dare anyone calls WiMax 4G. IMHO Sprint does not have 4G.

VZW will be able to start implementing the higher speeds in next year as well. It will be some time though until it meets LTE Advanced spec.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

They don't quite have the ipad on Verizon...yet? If they did i'd assume the iphone is coming, but they are just selling a wifi ipad and the VZW hotspot device (mifi2000?)with it. ATT sells an ipad that can actually connect to ATT's network.

I want to know what blackberry is going to release for the LTE network. I'm tired of these storm type devices though, i might like the torch since it has the keyboard...but i'm not into the touch screen stuff, i need the keys so i can type without looking.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buddyleex
Actually, VZW is claiming up to 12, I was testing it in November and I was actually getting 20/5 so that is a bit of a modest claim by VZW. Also, T-mobile doesn't appear to have much of a larger 4G footprint than VZW either. I see about 3 cities T-Mobile has coverage that VZW LTE does not.

And also...how dare anyone calls WiMax 4G. IMHO Sprint does not have 4G.

VZW will be able to start implementing the higher speeds in next year as well. It will be some time though until it meets LTE Advanced spec.
Be real.. 20 down and 5 up? Do you work for them that you were able to test it in november? They don't even have a phone that works for LTE and when our HSPA+ network was being tested before launch they were getting 20 MBPS down because there was no one on our network. That is why there is theoretical and actual. Verizon claims actual 5-9..
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Be real.. 20 down and 5 up? Do you work for them that you were able to test it in november? They don't even have a phone that works for LTE and when our HSPA+ network was being tested before launch they were getting 20 MBPS down because there was no one on our network. That is why there is theoretical and actual. Verizon claims actual 5-9..
If you read all of my post, yes I work for them, and bingo no one was on the network due to it's public December release. I'm not sure if VZW has an LTE phone or not, I'm not pervy to that information, no one is except the group that works that. "Typical 4G speeds: 5 to 12 Mbps download, 2 to 5 Mbps upload".

Where are you getting your information?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Launching!

straight from our verizon reps mouth at my company (a large energy sector company here in houston)

don't ever expect to see the iphone on verizon.

PS unless you live in a big city where you know you have coverage the 4g is a worthless argument
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buddyleex
If you read all of my post, yes I work for them, and bingo no one was on the network due to it's public December release. I'm not sure if VZW has an LTE phone or not, I'm not pervy to that information, no one is except the group that works that. "Typical 4G speeds: 5 to 12 Mbps download, 2 to 5 Mbps upload".

Where are you getting your information?
Right across the street of my store there is a Verizon store. Went in and talked to the guys. That was straight from their mouth on what "VERIZON" claims it to be. They wont have an LTE phone until feb-march of next year. We also have much more than three cities over Verizon. Lol. We will cover 200 million people by the end of this month, and we have devices so people can use our network, vs you guys will cover 120 million people with no devices to use the network, yet.

Im just giving you a hard time. Verizon is a strong strong competitor and of course I will have my eyes on them. They are really the ONLY competitor I watch.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

The LTE/4g is the biggest scam. You guys are all suckers. ITs barely faster then 3g.

look at this article that shows actual speeds and the "advertized speeds"

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/01/tech...myth/index.htm
Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Domsz06
The LTE/4g is the biggest scam. You guys are all suckers. ITs barely faster then 3g.

Doesnt surprise me but I think we can all agree that if we can get a better service w/out an increase in our phone bill we would all be happy and take it.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Doesnt surprise me but I think we can all agree that if we can get a better service w/out an increase in our phone bill we would all be happy and take it.
yeah your right.

but aren't the phone companies charging you more for the service, or at min you have to buy another phone and another contract.....

Oh yeah and on the comment about the verizon iPhone. Friend owns 51% of verizon in the Tulsa Market and they said Feb it will be released.... Granted take it for what's worth....
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

This reminds me of the special olympics pic, all of you arguing and bickering yet none of you have 4g.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Teching In

straight from our verizon reps mouth at my company (a large energy sector company here in houston)

don't ever expect to see the iphone on verizon.

PS unless you live in a big city where you know you have coverage the 4g is a worthless argument
No one really knows for sure if iphone will launch on VZW's network. But from within the company I've heard too many rumors and claims that it will be launching early Q1 of 2011 to pass it completely off as just hearsay for now.

Right across the street of my store there is a Verizon store. Went in and talked to the guys. That was straight from their mouth on what "VERIZON" claims it to be. They wont have an LTE phone until feb-march of next year. We also have much more than three cities over Verizon. Lol. We will cover 200 million people by the end of this month, and we have devices so people can use our network, vs you guys will cover 120 million people with no devices to use the network, yet.

Im just giving you a hard time. Verizon is a strong strong competitor and of course I will have my eyes on them. They are really the ONLY competitor I watch.
It's not what is advertised on the national website. VZW just launched LTE, so I don't expect the coverage to be as great as T-Mobile's. But comparing the maps it just didn't seem like T-Mobile had a much larger coverage than VZW. Also, VZW technically has "devices", however, no phones.

Originally Posted by Domsz06

Current 4G speeds are actually about 6x faster than 3g. The graph and information in that link are misleading considering they are comparing it to the high mobility peak bandwidth of 4G standard. I'll try to explain this without divulging too much information. On the current transport platform that holds more than 80% of the market share in these networks, there just simply isn't a solution out to withstand that type of capacity. In late Q2 of next year VZW will have new goodies from said platform, which will in turn increase this capacity end 2011 for 4G speeds.

On EVDO current peak is 14Mbits I think? I don't get anywhere near that, I typically get 2Mbits on VZW. Now on the live LTE network I'm getting on average 12Mbits. This is from my aircard.

Originally Posted by 5w20
This reminds me of the special olympics pic, all of you arguing and bickering yet none of you have 4g.
I've been on VZW's LTE network since November...