Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is vats causing this? Car takes a bit to turn on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is vats causing this? Car takes a bit to turn on.

Yesterday, drove my car like normal, stopped and waited while a friend washed his car, meanwhile I checked my oil and saw that it was slightly low, so I put in half a quart.

He finishes washing the car and after awhile we go to head out and get in my car. Turn the key, and it takes about 3 seconds of cranking and then starts up. I wonder what that was about since my car ever since I've had it turns on, on after the first crank.

So I go on, take care of some things, and then when I'm going to head home at night, car starts up first crank no problem. Figure the problem's gone.

Today, I go to start my car, same thing, but a little longer. Turn the car off, turn it back on and turns on right away like normal. Do it again about 4 hours after last driving it, cold again, and same problem. Go to the store, turn the car off come back to leave, turns on immediately again with no issues.

Other than the starter or something in that area, I remember reading about VATS causing similar problems. Now my security light has been on for about a year now, but no problems or effects from it. It's just a light that's on.

The car runs perfectly and I have no problems whatsoever. But after being used to the car turning on practically immediately, it's just bugging the **** outta me

I wasn't thinking it's vats because it seems to only have this problem when it's a completely cold start, and I'm not having any of the problems I've read where the car wont start for 10 minutes.

Is this vats, or something else.

Last edited by SSkull; 12-09-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct, vats completely disables the car. My diagnosis? Fuel pump. Go rent a checker from the local auto parts store and test at the schrader valve.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a video I just took. After reading around I saw that after about 30 minutes some people get the slow startup again. Waited an hour since the last startup, and it did the same thing.

In the video, you can see the problem, and then I start it up again to show how it would normally turn over.

Guess I'll go rent a checker tomorrow and see if that's the problem. Are there any other possible causes aside from this?

Startup Problem