Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help tracking down an oil leak on stock 02' Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help tracking down an oil leak on stock 02' Z

Recently, our 02 has been leaking quite a bit of oil, and I cant seem to track the source.

It "appears" to be comming from the rear of the engine, as the front side is clean and dry. However, everything from the middle of the oil pan back to the tranny pan is soaked.
My first thoughts would be Oil pressure sending unit, rear main, or back of intake.Popped off the little inspection cover on the bellhousing. Backside of block is slightly oily, but looks to be residue, not wet enough.

Ok, I replaced the Oil pressure unit a while back, thinking that was the cause.Got the intake off, and everything was dry around the OPSU. Leak remains.

After doing some more thinking, I found that it leaks while sitting. The longer it sits, the more it leaks, which is steering me away from the intake, as the oil would have drained down to the pan by then. Same with the OPSU, and im thinking, the rear main.

Any other places that im not thinking of? Its def not on the front side. It continues to leak when parked, probably a cup in 48hrs time. Car is bone stock, and has never been appart. 76k miles.

Thoughts? Oil pan gasket?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am thinking that after the engine has been shut down for a awhile most of the oil is either in pockets (e.g. on the rocker arm area "floor") on in in the oil filter/pan. So unless I am missing something the leak would be at oil filter, the plate behind filter, the oil pan gasket, drain plug, or perhaps from a cracked or porous oil pan.