Tire Question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Question...

Just picked up a set of C5 Replicas. 17x9.5 and I need to buy tires.
I'm looking at:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....d&autoModClar=
They are similar to what I have on my car now, but are supposedly the next step up.
So I called NTB, and they quoted me a price, $700 something or other. Ouch.
Their price for individual tire was like $170/ea.
Tire Rack has it for $129/ea.
Discount has it for like $149/ea.

My plan was, since Discount does the price match, to have them match Tire Rack's price, and then have them installed at the store I get them at. Or is the price match only good if I order them online? Can I just take a print out with me to the store in person?

Also, on Tire Rack's page they have this:
Important Notes:
Works Front and Rear with 17x9 ET50 or higher or with 17x9.5 ET48/49. Otherwise Rear only.
What does that mean? Will I have issues running these in the front?

Last thing...
If you guy's have tried and dislike the Yoko's, I'd really like to hear why, and what you would recommend instead. Really not looking to spend much more.
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't like them because the tires cause a lot of road noise . You may have better luck scouring cl in austin and sa .
Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get some nittos nt 555's and call it a day
Old 12-12-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flip the wheel over, it'll say the size and the offset. I'm really not sure if I've seen 17x9.5 c5 wheels. Are you sure they aren't 17x8.5? Also, the quote you have from tire rack is stating the sizes/offsets that will be compatible with that size tire.

I don't think Discount Tire will match online pricing unless it includes the shipping. Just my opinion though.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaysan
I don't like them because the tires cause a lot of road noise . You may have better luck scouring cl in austin and sa .
Hm... Never heard of that. I'll have to keep that in mind. Never noticed much with the ones I currently have. Thanks. I'm not really looking to buy used tires, and it's rare to find new on CL. Thanks man.
Originally Posted by ssteven@6LE
Just get some nittos nt 555's and call it a day
I considered it. But their life span isn't all that high. I want these tires to last, especially if I'm dishing out $$$ now!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I don't think Discount Tire will match online pricing unless it includes the shipping. Just my opinion though.
This. I believe they have to add shipping and any other costs so that it is truly a price match.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 AM
9 Second Club

there is a tire brand called Nexen N3000, I got them locally here in pasadena, for a little over $100 each, 275/40r17. They are nothing special, but the look good not a lot of road noise, and they wear good. They are not a good performance tire, but for a DD they work great and the price aint bad either.

here is a random website that I found:
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...ontDiameter/17

Last edited by v8sten; 12-13-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Is tirerack's price including shipping? If not, discount won't match it to my knowledge.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I somehow missed this:
Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Flip the wheel over, it'll say the size and the offset. I'm really not sure if I've seen 17x9.5 c5 wheels. Are you sure they aren't 17x8.5? Also, the quote you have from tire rack is stating the sizes/offsets that will be compatible with that size tire.

Ah, yeah, I'll have to double check on the size. Haven't had a chance to look at the stamp on the inside of the wheel. Thanks for the reminder.
I sent a request to price match this morning. We'll see what they say. They say the want to see best price I found "per tire", so who knows... I've got my fingers crossed though.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
Is tirerack's price including shipping? If not, discount won't match it to my knowledge.
No, but Discount also charges state tax, where I don't believe Tire Rack does.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Launching!

discount will get close to matching online prices counting the shipping. the have matched prices for me at onlinetires.com
Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BT03mach-1
discount will get close to matching online prices counting the shipping. the have matched prices for me at onlinetires.com
Did you go in person, or submit the online form?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

NTB will match tire racks price plus the shipping... You just need to get on their *** about it.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
NTB will match tire racks price plus the shipping... You just need to get on their *** about it.
They ALWAYS give me the run around. NTB seems like a nicer, more well kept store, but I'm not sure who has more competent people working there (Discount vs NTB). Figured I may try somewhere else this time around.
NTB's price was so far off, I seriously doubt they'll give me anything better. Especially since their "buy three, get one free" special wound up coming up to ~$700. Not sure how that worked out... haha.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone work at a Discount in San Antonio that can give me the hook up??
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
They ALWAYS give me the run around. NTB seems like a nicer, more well kept store, but I'm not sure who has more competent people working there (Discount vs NTB). Figured I may try somewhere else this time around.
NTB's price was so far off, I seriously doubt they'll give me anything better. Especially since their "buy three, get one free" special wound up coming up to ~$700. Not sure how that worked out... haha.
Buy 3 get 1 free is with an alignment and road hazard. Does the NTB you spoke to have those tires in stock? I don't even show those in the computer at my work.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by irbs
Buy 3 get 1 free is with an alignment and road hazard. Does the NTB you spoke to have those tires in stock? I don't even show those in the computer at my work.
Had them at the warehouse, if I put down a deposit before 3pm, they could have them at the store and installed same day.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Had them at the warehouse, if I put down a deposit before 3pm, they could have them at the store and installed same day.
I guess they stock different tires than we do.

They can match the price of Tirerack but you have to include shipping in that price. Basically you are looking at about $570 out the door with Tirerack. That is not installed or with road hazard. The $700 NTB is quoting you is most likely with a 6 month 6000 miles warranty alignment, 1 year road hazard warranty and installed. The road hazard program is much better than our competitors. Free replacement within the first year or 12000 miles and its no fault. Basically you can hit a curb or your tire gets slashed and all you do it pay the install of the tire to get a new one. Its also prorated after the first year.

Just go with who ever you trust the most.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by irbs
I guess they stock different tires than we do.

They can match the price of Tirerack but you have to include shipping in that price. Basically you are looking at about $570 out the door with Tirerack. That is not installed or with road hazard. The $700 NTB is quoting you is most likely with a 6 month 6000 miles warranty alignment, 1 year road hazard warranty and installed. The road hazard program is much better than our competitors. Free replacement within the first year or 12000 miles and its no fault. Basically you can hit a curb or your tire gets slashed and all you do it pay the install of the tire to get a new one. Its also prorated after the first year.

Just go with who ever you trust the most.
Interesting. The guy I spoke to said he dropped it to 1 single alignment, and the road hazard warranty was for the life of the tire I thought.
He also said if tires were to get slashed it was NOT covered.
I wonder if they've changed certain policies from location to location.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Interesting. The guy I spoke to said he dropped it to 1 single alignment, and the road hazard warranty was for the life of the tire I thought.
He also said if tires were to get slashed it was NOT covered.
I wonder if they've changed certain policies from location to location.
The alignment has a warranty. Its our basic alignment. Its $79.99. The road hazard is basically for the life of the tires but the free replacement is for the first year and 12000 miles. Its a prorated warranty after that. The warranty does cover the tires getting slashed. Some people just dont like to admit that. NTB policies are the same nationwide.