Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

98 Z28 Monsoon Indash CD 'AUX' Button...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z28 Monsoon Indash CD 'AUX' Button...

OK...I've been reading ALOT about iPod installs into these types of vehicles and to the best I can find its not going to happen with my setup.

98 Z28 w/ Monsoon System Indash CD player and NO CD changer in trunk.

All the adapters I have been thus far, and tried of the years BTW, do not work. Something about the indash cd player. I need the cassette.

OK...My biggest question is then. WTF is the AUX button for in my head unit?

From what I gather I cannot use the adapters since my HU doesn't have changer functionality. OK...that's fine. It has the plugs in the back of the HU for the adapters and I have tried a few and they 'install' but nothing seems to work. AUX does nothing.

So I'm just baffled. If this system has not changer functionality than what is the AUX button for? Something seems off. I would suspect that there is some adapter even to switch to AUX and have a Left/Right line input. that would allow for the iPod to be connected via the headphone jack on the iPod.

Thanks...
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Perhaps you should have read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section...

Even though all models had the CD changer port not all models could control a changer - the port was also used for an external cassette player that was offered in some GM models but never in F-bodies.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Teching In

OK...I appologize I missed that thread.

There is still one question though. The AUX button is there and I assume if I had the 'external cassette', which wasn't offered, it would function unless intentionally disabled by GM. Begs the question how can one turn that port into an aux port?

According to the FAQ on the 9-pin connector pins 9 (drain wire) and pin 12 (audio return) are the two that catch my attention. My guess is pin 9 (drain wire) is just another ground, but need to examine more closely. Pin 12 (audio return) seems odd. Maybe thats the wire that needs to go to ground to tell the HU that the cassette option is avail.

All I'd like is a way to input an iPod audio into the system. I have a hoky FM transmitter and it blows. Dont see why I couldn't take an iPod connector and use the audio outs from it into the HU AUX port. All that needs to happen is to allow the AUX port to actually switch over.

Upon writing this I'm going to guess pin 12 is also used to send FF/RW commands to the cassette unit along with other 'protocol' specific functions.

Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The control signals for a CD changer are different than a remote cassette -the tape only needs stop, reverse, fast forward, and rewind. The difference in communication protocols is what makes the adapters fail when plugged into a port that doesn't support a CD changer.

One solution is to find a newer CD head unit (2000 or newer) to replace your current one. They can be found fairly cheaply on eBay or the for sale section in this forum.

Another solution is modifying your existing head unit to add an auxiliary input jack. Instructions are in this thread.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Teching In

From what I am gathering the HUs look identical for ones with CD controls and ones with Cassette controls. The numbering on the board internaly is tha tonly way to tell for sure what controls are actually supported.

I'm going to guess from my earierl attempts that mine is a Cassette only since the other adapters I have tried fail.

Also it seems that fooling the HU into seeing something on the AUX and enabling the input lines is impossible as the HU would freak out. Why I do not know. one would think it would just send commands into the void. Since we don't care about a response the HU would think its talking to a Cassette and the iPod would just feed audio back.

I would suspect that *if* I was able to find a Cassette unit and plug it in the AUX would function. With that, something must tell the HU that the cassette is present. Either a pull on Pin 12 or input on 10&11. I would also suspect that some mechanism could fool the system to thinking something is on the other end, like a resisitor to ground. Much like the CAGS mods to avoid the skip shift.

Anyway I am baffled that this has never been worked about or has it?

BTW...The AUX plug w/o adapter mods would work but seems like a last resort as I'd like to not modify. Id think a 9 pin connector to an iPod doc plug with the appropriate lines routed and whatever the HU needs for a cassette presnet signal should work. I'll need to dog up more info on what the HU wants to 'see' the external cassette device.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Here's a thought. Anyone ever plugged in one of these cassette players to the HU to see if it actually talks to it? Ther their cheap enough rip the guts out of one of those to get the prorocol working and patch in a set of line in wires from the iPod. This way its talking to a cassette unit and recieving input from another source.

Even thought the cassette units were not offered in the f-bodies any idea what the part numbers were or where to optain one?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Is it just me or does it seem ridiculous to buy and modify a remote cassette player trying to get an iPod to work when proven solutions are available? Remote cassette players are available on eBay for $40 - $90... about the same as a 2000+ CD head unit would cost. A newer head unit would be a plug-and-play solution for an auxiliary input adapter or even an iPod-specific adapter that would allow control through the steering wheel switches.

Cost isn't the issue since you reject the nearly free Novak mod so what is this, a science project?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Is it just me or do I fail to understand the negativity/sarcasm in the replies?

I appreciate the responses, I really do, but I prefer not to get an aftermarket HU that alters the appearance of the vehicle with third party mounting kits that protrude. Nor do I wish to modify the dash by drilling holes in it and use a hack that requires a CD to be in the tray for the hack to work (Novak). No disrespect to his work is intended.

I fail to see why attempting to get the AUX feature to actually do something is causing so much tension. It shouldn't matter to you how I attempt to solve my problem. If you have something valuable to add please do so. I have not ruled out a 2000+ HU w/ CDC at this time but seem to have found a slave cassette unit for $25 so seems to be worth the experiment.

Again...I appreciate your feedback but I appreciate positive feedback more. Negative and sarcastic feedback degrades to purpose of the forum and leads nowhere. You seem to have a lot of posts thus I assume you are knowledgeable on the subject matter. Your initial response gave me some inkling on how this would payout and it seems to have gotten there.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good luck with your attempt. Nothing wrong with trying something new.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

There is a couple of places on ebay stating that they are running the MP3 signal straight into the head unit's pre-amp section. They tend to be using the non-Monsoon units though.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Tape unit($30) for my little experiment arrived yesterday. Still awaiting the 9pin cable($15). Hope it gets here soon.

Took a look at the internals of the tape drive and I think I might be able to just extract the tiny main board(1" x 5"), fool the motor circuits(resistors), short the 'tape in' switch and hijack the inputs. Looking forward to at least trying. Everything seems to be cabled internally so nothing to cut out. Just disconnect headers.

It might be smarter than I am but I'm willing to challenge it.

Question still remains first though, will the HU even recognize the tape unit. All the reading says yes but until the cable arrives all I am doing is guessing.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Success...I'll post pics when I can but this is basically it...

Took the stock remote cassette and removed the three circuit boards. No hardware from the tape player was used. Reworked the stock enclosure to remove excess materials and create a smaller enclosure. Wired in a 3.5mm jack where the audio from the cassette would have gone. Using a 3.5mm to dock connector. HU thinks there is a tape player attached and switches over. iPhone isn't the wiser either. Works great. Also bought a dock connector with 3.5mm and USB so I'll wire a USB charger, like those for cigarette lighters, and be able to charge also. Car mount is on order.

Basically my little science project was a success and the car is still ALL STOCK. I can unplug and none are the wiser...

Awesome...

Thanks all...
Old 01-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Where's the picture of this contraption???
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Is it just me or does it seem ridiculous to buy and modify a remote cassette player trying to get an iPod to work when proven solutions are available? Remote cassette players are available on eBay for $40 - $90... about the same as a 2000+ CD head unit would cost. A newer head unit would be a plug-and-play solution for an auxiliary input adapter or even an iPod-specific adapter that would allow control through the steering wheel switches.

Cost isn't the issue since you reject the nearly free Novak mod so what is this, a science project?

I just bought a Sony HD radio and put my Stock unit in the closet. I now have Better sound, a USB that wil connect to my phone, play music and charge at the same time and have that little plug you want.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Planning

Assembly
Old 02-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Save the manuals!

You said that you did that in a tape unit? The last picture looks like a CD playing unit.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Teching In

I want to answer correctly. The HU in the Camaro is an in-dash unit but apparently only talks to a remote cassette player. I dissected a remote cassette player, kept the boards, and reworked the cassette chassis, reassembled and taped closed to make it look a little better. So hope I answered you correctly. the black box in the last pic is whats left of a remote cassette player.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Interesting. Is your end goal to get the cassette controls to operate your mp3 player directly?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Nope...Just to get the AUX port on the HU to actuality work like a line in without any destruction of the base vehicle. At this point I have what I want, the ability to plug an iPhone via dock connector to system and have audio output. Buy using a cig-lighter usb adapter I can also charge. Car mount dock is here and with a small metal fab I think I can build a bracket, bolt to face of HU under the trim and have a small piece protrude where I attach the car mount. Basically it will sit just to the right of the odometer between the HU and the dash area where I can see it through the wheel. I'll control with my right hand. Seems like a lofty goal but so far all has worked out. End goal is to not cut the car in anyway and be able to remove everything without anyone ever knowing it was there.

Quick Reply: 98 Z28 Monsoon Indash CD 'AUX' Button...