Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head unit stopped working! help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head unit stopped working! help!

I was using the kenwood kdc-mp919 head unit. Today, just out of the blue, it shuts off. I tried hitting the reset button, but nothing happened. If I turn the car on, the face plate will turn over, but no sound and nothing on the display. Can't even eject the CD. What happened to it? Can it be fixed?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChevyCobb
I was using the kenwood kdc-mp919 head unit. Today, just out of the blue, it shuts off. I tried hitting the reset button, but nothing happened. If I turn the car on, the face plate will turn over, but no sound and nothing on the display. Can't even eject the CD. What happened to it? Can it be fixed?
Take the cd player out and bring it to a audio shop that has a 12 volt power supply or if you have one in your garage it helps. That will eliminate if its the head unit or your car. If the head unit doesnt work. You might have blown the internal fuse on it or worse. The internal fuse if I recall is not user servicable meaning you would have to send it in to Kenwood to have it fixed.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Teching In

well today after doing some more research on it...i found people that had the same problems.
Turned out, for them, it was the flex cable(the cable going from the face plate to the deck). Evidentaly when you have a motorized face plate, that cable gets worn out over time, and starts to break.
I found a few write-ups of how to install it, and it seems pretty simple...if you're good with working with small parts like that. I don't know, i'll see what a place would charge me to do it. The parts to do it myself are about $20 shipped.