Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie LS1 freshening question

Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie LS1 freshening question

Hey gang. Im kinda new to the LS1 motor. I have a build thread going on in the FI section. Here, im looking for the basics. I am getting a LQ4 6.0 with just over 100K on the clock for my turbo build, and I am looking to freshen it. My plans are for main and rod bearings. I have also heard that you want a ported oil pump. (Melling, LS6?)

I have also heard that rod bolts and head studs are a good idea for boost, so im planing on that. And im planing on running a Z06 cam and replacing the lifters with LS7 lifters? Any thoughts on which lifter to use. I would like to replace the timing chain while im there, any recomendations?

Im planing on taking the 317 heads and having them cleaned/surfaced, and get a valve job done. That and adding the appropriate valve springs for the Z06 cam. Any recomendations for the springs? Im still up in the air for the intake. I have the hood clearance to use the stock truck intake, but I am considering stepping up to a Victor JR with an elbow and stock LS TB.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks Eric L
Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the Melling 1096 oil pump. The LS7 lifters should do just fine. For valve springs there are many options, but I like Comp 921 for their endurance and reliability. An LS2 timing chain on fresh gears will work, but I prefer the IWIS/Katech chain carried by Thunder Racing (among others).
Old 12-13-2010, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't spend the money on a valve job for a stock bottom end car. I would go with dual springs, nothing wrong with overkill on a boost motor. LS6 intake will more than suffice for your plans. Other than that, sounds good.

What turbo are you go with?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WSsick
I wouldn't spend the money on a valve job for a stock bottom end car. I would go with dual springs, nothing wrong with overkill on a boost motor. LS6 intake will more than suffice for your plans. Other than that, sounds good.

What turbo are you go with?
Why would you not do a valve job? (I assuming grind and lap as opposed to new valves.)

I would consider that as routine maintenance on a motor with 100k since the heads will be on the workbench anyway.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman
Why would you not do a valve job? (I assuming grind and lap as opposed to new valves.)

I would consider that as routine maintenance on a motor with 100k since the heads will be on the workbench anyway.
Just a matter of personal opinion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it. It sounded like you were on somewhat of a budget from the details, so I suggest you throw the money elsewhere in the build. Plenty of people have thrown bone stock heads with new springs with success and high numbers. I would definitely make sure everything is alright, no bent valves, but the power can be made elsewhere (boost).
Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^^
Fair enough.

Search this Thread