What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2002 Camaro SS 80K miles, 550+hp 402

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro SS 80K miles, 550+hp 402

Pewter 2002 Camaro SS M6, hardtop, one owner, great condition, never raced, 402 aluminum LS2, trickflow heads, Vindicator cam, 90mm FAST intake and throttle body, forged rotating assembly, long tube stainless Kooks headers, Textraila clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter with Lou's short stick, otherwise stock T56, 4:10s in stock 10 bolt, stock body/frame and suspension, black leather, always babied and well maintained, all mods professionally installed and maintained by Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA. KBB is $10.5K. Reccomendations on this site say to price mods at 1/3 to 1/2 of their price and never include cost for labor. From my investigation it would cost approx $12K minimum for the parts alone to build a 402 like mine. 1/3 of that would would make $15K obo a fair price for my car, but I have gotten little to no response at $14K obo. I got one email saying it was way overpriced at $14K obo. Several cars with much cheaper mods, higher mileage, and not one owner cars are priced similar to mine on this site. What's mine really worth? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Default Compare to sold cars ....

You shouldn't compare your car with others that are asking way more than you with way less mods. If you truely want to sell your car, compare it with other cars that have actually sold. The car in the following link started at $13,500 on Craigslist and sold for $11,000 on Ebay ... 402, Darts, 530 rwhp, built tranny, Moser axles & 4.10 Auburn. It had 5,000 miles on the motor, 70,000 on the car and all receipts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYl5z-mI3hY

A similarly powered NBM 2000 SS started at $16,000 on Craigslist and sold for $12,000 Ebay at a dealer in Nevada with only 27,000 miles .... not a misprint, 27,000 miles.

A car is only worth what someone will pay for it. Put more emphasis on the "sold" ads and not so much emphasis on the "for sale" ads.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Teching In

OK, somebody got some really good deals on those cars... guess I'll just keep mine.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Just a sign of the economy ... what is your home worth compared to two years ago.

It is not only difficult to get a fair price for "built" cars today, but it is even more difficult to find someone willing to let go of that kind of cash for a toy unless it is too good of a deal to pass up. Cars with few mods are selling mainly as daily drivers.

There is a 2002 SOM SS with 52k miles, a forged turbo motor making 550+ rwhp, full suspension, brake kit, built tranny and 12-bolt on Ebay with a starting price of $14,000 in north Ga with no bids ... not a single one. He started at $20,500 and I know he will take a little as $14,500. $30,000+ invested and the mod list goes on and on.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I never expected to get anywhere near what I have invested in the car, but I am suprised the market is that bad. Anyway, I'll probably just keep it. I was looking to sell it and buy or trade for a 4x4 Dodge Cummins powered truck. There definitely aren't any deals to be had on those, at least not any I've found. I'll just keep the car until the market for them improves or just keep it period. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah....modded cars are harder to sell than a stocker is right now.

I have mine for sale, and will not take a dime less than $16K. If it doesn't sell....oh well. Will just have to wait longer to get my TBSS.

One thing though....it has all of those mods....and you mention "Never raced"
How does that work?

There is always someone out there somewhere that will spend the money. Just damn near impossible to find that person most of the time.
I have seen some really insane asking prices on cars too lately....and the owner wonders why it won't sell.
Some guy on another site is asking $22K for his 2002 430RWHP SLP SS with 14K miles.
That is $8K over KBB. And he is confused why no one will pick it up.

Good luck if you decide to sell....buyers market for sure right now.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Default price...

Yeah I understand its a buyers market, but only if the owner will sell for that price. I'm not one of those guys that thinks you have $30K in a car and should get $29K for it. I don't expect to get much for it, but the car stock is worth $10K KBB, the parts alone to replicate the motor would be at least $15K. It's unreal how little these cars are bringing. I am looking for a Dodge Cummins truck as a new toy, and there are no deals on these trucks at all. Whatever, I am tired of dealing with it. I'll get a reasonable price for the car or it can sit in my garage and rot to dust. I don't have to sell it, and I'm not giving it away for nothing.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I almost forgot about your comment about the car being "never raced." I have ran people from a roll on the highway, but the car has never drag raced anybody from a dead stop on the street at all. It has definitely never been on a race track of any kind. I'm not sure why that is so hard for your to believe. Either way, doesn't matter to me if you believe it or not. Fact is the car has never been on a race track, end of story.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

I consider a roll race a race....
I was finding it hard to believe that a car like that had never been raced....highway/track/whatever. I know I wouldn't have built it to drive it conservatively.

I am not trying to push buttons, but your response seems like maybe I did. I was asking questions and stating what the forecast 'looks like' for selling a modded car.
Trust me, I know it isn't easy. My 402 T/A has been for sale for about 2 months now....and only one serious offer.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Teching In

I also consider a race from a roll a real race. I was originally misquoted or at least misunderstood. I never said the car had never been raced at all. I meant it had never been raced on a track at all or from a standing start on the street. I was trying to emphasize the fact the car hadn't been abused or raced seriously. It has probably had 4-5 races from a roll on the highway total, and that's it for its racing history. Sorry for being touchy, but trying to sell this car is really getting old. I am trying to give it away in my opinion and all I get is a bunch of people telling me my price is too high, the car wasn't built right, they have the money(but really don't), or that they don't believe it hasn't been raced. Just tired of it...
Old 12-21-2010, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02SSPL
Sorry for being touchy, but trying to sell this car is really getting old.
I am running into the same problems you are. And believe me, I understand the frustration.

I am at the point where I will not take a penny less than my asking price and if I still have it in April....I am just keeping the damn thing.

Good luck man...didn't mean to push buttons.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS 80K miles, 550+hp 402