Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel stud help for TT2's, new trans am owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel stud help for TT2's, new trans am owner

To billsws6:

Hello, interested in your wheel studs. I bought a 1999 trans am recently, and it has come with a beautiful set of torque thrust 2 5 spokes i love. Its staggered, 275/45/17 in rear, 245/45/17 in front.

My problem: the fronts were not on the car. They are some different style wheel with rotten tires on them. I wondered why he did not have the matching set on, so I attempted to put the fronts on....

Well I see why they are not on now, they don't fit (caliper rub). The seller included mr. gasket wheel spacers that I tried, which made them fit, but now my studs are not long enough to get a bite from the lugs, it is very close to grabbing thread, but won't.

Would your wheel studs on the front of my car fix my issue? Or are they too long/short?

Thanks, if they work I'll buy them.

Pat

Pat,
Don't buy mine.... In your case you should get the even longer ARP wheel studs. I think they are 1.75" long. Go in the wheel section and ask what the next length up from standard they are. You don't want to have any problems.

You can always get a grinder and grind down your calipers to get those rims to fit. I have done that on my last car. I have heard bad things about the spacers. If they were on the rears I might think okay. Since they are on the front you don't think you want to lose your steering.

I would also ask the question about wheel spacers in the wheel and tire section.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't help more.

Bill

What a good member and guy. Just wanted to show that there are still some admirable and honest people to deal with in this world. I applaud billsws6, and am appreciative of him and this board.

So like he suggests, what would be yalls suggestions to remedy my situation? Thanks!

Billsws6 and tech, you rock

Pat
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rule on wheel studs is that you should have thread engagment that matches the stud size (ie: 1/2" stud require 1/2" of thread engagment, 7/16" studs require 7/16" thread engagment, 12mm studs require 12mm of thread engagment, etc.) Spacers are ok, as long as you remember that the thread engagment rule above does not change, AND that now you have 2 surface interfaces instead of one working against each other. As long as you check your lug nut torque regularly and remember that you have twice the chance of them loosening up (so they should probably should be checked twice as often) you will be fine.