Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spring swap..heads removed

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spring swap..heads removed

I am trying to do a spring swap for my head cam project and having a struggle getting the keepers/retainers to separate!
The heads are off the car and I am using the Tim's tool to compress the springs. I have smacked the retainer with a socket and hammer as listed in the instructions but I think the lack of pressure on the valves to stay closed (like in a head on block spring swap) is making it a pain. Anyone have any suggestions?
My thought was to compress the spring to bring the valves just barely off their seat then give some light taps to the valve face with a rubber mallet to break it loose good solution or would this be a dumb *** move?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Tap them around the retainer before you compress the springs. It'll loosen them up, then when you compress them, they'll pop free.

If you're using the Tim's Tool, do you have the head secured with C-Clamps or anything?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A good wack with a spark plug socket over the top of the retainer should break them free. Hit the socket hard enough to where it actually compresses the spring slightly but not hard enough to where you smash the valve into the table. This will usually break even the toughest locks free.

You can also squirt a little PB Blaster down into the locks as well. This will FOR SURE loosen them up.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I tap the center of the valve with a wooden dowel. It doesnt take much force to pop them loose. If you've got strong thumbs you can push the valve closed by hand
Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the heads are off go to Autozone and rent the big "C" clamp spring compressor. Makes things much easier.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I tried smacking the retainer on multiple springs before compressing them and it did nothing, I think this method is effective if there is an existing force trying to keep the valve shut. In my case there is none and the valve moves as one with the spring when I am hitting the retainer!
I didn't bolt them down but they have stayed put so far lol
yea didn't think of the pb blaster, thanks.
How does the Autozone clamp work? does it apply pressure to keep the valves shut?
So Pocket do you think my idea using a soft mallet gently would be safe? guess I could buy a dowel and do your method.
So I make sure I understand, you are placing the dowel on the valve in the exposed combustion chamber and taping that to break it loose correct?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kagato
Yeah How does the Autozone clamp work? does it apply pressure to keep the valves shut?
Here is a link to a picture of a "C" compressor so you can see how it works. It keeps the valve closed while the spring is compressed. I would not keep beating on things. Link
Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Thats right, you dont have to hit it hard either. If you have the spring compressor to where the valve is just barely open the retainers wont go flying when you knock it loose